Question about Golgi body

• Thread starter s3a
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body
In summary, the Golgi body is an organelle in cells that is responsible for protein modification and sub-cellular localization.
s3a

Homework Statement

According to my book, the Golgi body is the organelle of an animal cell which is responsible for *protein modification* and *sub-cellular localization*.

I'm trying to fully grasp what is said above (in a manner that is as easy to understand as possible, without involving anything too complicated).

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

About the sub-cellular localization part, does that just refer to the Golgi body making vesicles with proteins in them, where the vesicles go to the locations they're supposed to go to (where the locations are encoded in the proteins) or is there more to the term "sub-cellular localization" than that?

I am not a student in health sciences, so please don't assume any knowledge on my behalf!

Despite not being a student in health sciences, I want to know the exact truth and not an approximation of it (assuming humankind's understanding is the exact truth). What I mean by this is that, while I don't want to get too technical, I want to be told stuff that are 100% accurate and not (only) stuff that are like 90% accurate just because it would make an explanation easier to understand.

Having said that, any input would be GREATLY appreciated (especially since anything I find is way too complex for me to understand)! :)

P.S.
If what I hypothesized about what the term "sub-cellular localization" means is 100% correct, just telling me that would be good enough for an answer. :) If what I hypothesized is not 100% correct, however, please tell me what is.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the reply, but I already checked that link out.

Is there something wrong with what I had said?:
"About the sub-cellular localization part, does that just refer to the Golgi body making vesicles with proteins in them, where the vesicles go to the locations they're supposed to go to (where the locations are encoded in the proteins) or is there more to the term "sub-cellular localization" than that?"

I'm not an expert here and can't say if you're right or not and so I searched for something relevant. Hopefully other mentors will respond with better answers than mine.

I see, jedishrfu. Thanks anyways. :)

If someone else can help me out, though, please do so because I can't find anything on the entire Internet that helps me understand what I am confused about. :(

1. What is the function of the Golgi body?

The Golgi body, also known as the Golgi apparatus, is responsible for sorting, modifying, and packaging proteins and lipids for transport to their final destinations within the cell or outside of the cell.

2. How does the Golgi body transport molecules?

The Golgi body uses vesicles to transport molecules. These vesicles bud off from the Golgi and can either fuse with the cell membrane to release the molecules outside of the cell or transport them to other organelles within the cell.

3. What is the structure of the Golgi body?

The Golgi body is made up of a series of flattened, stacked membranes called cisternae. These cisternae are surrounded by small vesicles and are connected by tubules, allowing for the transport of molecules between them.

4. Can the Golgi body be found in all cells?

Yes, the Golgi body is found in most eukaryotic cells, which are cells that contain a nucleus and other membrane-bound organelles. However, some prokaryotic cells, such as bacteria, do not have a Golgi body.

5. What happens if the Golgi body is dysfunctional?

A dysfunctional Golgi body can lead to various cellular and health issues. For example, if the Golgi is unable to properly modify and package proteins, the cell may not be able to carry out its necessary functions. This can also lead to diseases such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and cystic fibrosis.