GR Class: Is it Enough to "Know" General Relativity?

• Thread starter nlsherrill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr
In summary, taking a graduate level GR class in your senior year of college may not necessarily mean that you fully understand general relativity. While it is possible to gain knowledge and interest in the subject through popularized physics books or seminars, a strong understanding of mathematics is necessary to truly understand GR. It is also important to consider the difficulty level and content of the specific course, as well as consulting with the instructor for a better understanding of what will be covered.
nlsherrill
I may have the option my senior year to take a GR class at the graduate level. I was wondering if taking this class would be sufficient enough for me to say I "know" general relativity? Do you have to be an active researcher in the field to have a firm grasp of GR, or can one simply take a course in it and understand it to a reasonable level?

Physics news on Phys.org
nlsherrill said:
I may have the option my senior year to take a GR class at the graduate level. I was wondering if taking this class would be sufficient enough for me to say I "know" general relativity? Do you have to be an active researcher in the field to have a firm grasp of GR, or can one simply take a course in it and understand it to a reasonable level?
It depends on the "definition of understanding". You could read a book or attend a seminary of popularized physics and still claim to know what GR is about.

Personally I consider mathematics to be the only key for unlocking the knowledge. (Too poetic but still valid!) In this case, the maths that are required (Tensor Calculus, Differential Geometry etc.) could no way be provided in secondary school.

I take it by your saying graduate level that you are in college. I have not taken any GR classes nor am I even in college, but as a general rule, I would usually say that the harder the course, the more you will learn and the faster you will learn it. So if you aren't afraid of a harder course, I would say go for it. If you like it, take even harder courses and so on and so forth.

Trifis said:
It depends on the "definition of understanding". You could read a book or attend a seminary of popularized physics and still claim to know what GR is about.

Personally I consider mathematics to be the only key for unlocking the knowledge. (Too poetic but still valid!) In this case, the maths that are required (Tensor Calculus, Differential Geometry etc.) could no way be provided in secondary school.

...I mean't senior year in college. I'm a sophomore in physics and mathematics.

nlsherrill said:
...I mean't senior year in college. I'm a sophomore in physics and mathematics.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm from Europe where serior year means twelfth grade:wink:

My PhD c2006 concerned a lot about General Relativity. I don't claim to "know" it but rather I am intruiged by it.

It sounds like you are asking yourself the question of whether I am intruiged enough to follow an advanced course.

I am not familiar with what you have learned so far but my guess would be that is a further course on GR exists in your college then the content is really likely to be the cool stuff, i.e., for instance GR in cosmological theories, Kerr & Reidster-Nordstrum black holes, stationary black holes and perhaps spinor algebra and the Newman-Penrose formalism.

Hapy hunting!

Depends on the instructor, honestly. You should talk to whoever is teaching the course, and find out what it's going to be like. It's entirely possible to learn something useful in a course like that without it being way over your head. But no, I wouldn't say you'd understand GR after that.

1. What is the concept behind General Relativity?

General Relativity is a theory of gravity that was developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It explains how massive objects interact with each other and how space and time are affected by gravity.

2. How does General Relativity differ from Newton's theory of gravity?

Newton's theory of gravity describes gravity as a force that acts between two objects with mass. General Relativity, on the other hand, explains gravity as the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy.

3. Is it necessary to have a deep understanding of mathematics to comprehend General Relativity?

While a strong background in mathematics is beneficial in understanding the intricacies of General Relativity, it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of mathematics to comprehend the basic concepts of the theory.

4. Can General Relativity be tested or proven?

Yes, General Relativity has been extensively tested and proven through various experiments and observations. One of the most famous examples is the bending of light by massive objects, which was predicted by Einstein's theory.

5. How does General Relativity impact our daily lives?

General Relativity has significant implications in modern technology, such as GPS systems, which use the theory to make accurate calculations of location and time. It also helps us understand the universe on a larger scale, such as the behavior of black holes and the expansion of the universe.