1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about grad school.

  1. Mar 13, 2013 #1
    Is it possible to go to grad school and just study nuclear physics and Quantum mechanics?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2013 #2


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    no it isn't.
  4. Mar 13, 2013 #3


    User Avatar

    Grad school in the US usually combines the masters and PhD. You spend the first 2-3 years taking the masters coursework (usually 2 semesters each of quantum, E&M, classical, thermo, and math physics, or some combination of those) and more specialized topics courses in your field. Then you need to pass a qualifying exam on those subjects before proceeding to the dissertation to earn a PhD. So no, you can't show up and just take a couple specific classes and earn a degree. You need to take them all and demonstrate your knowledge of those fields (and often others as well).
  5. Mar 14, 2013 #4
    What course on QM would you take after 2-3 grad semesters of it? What would be the syllabus for such a class that wouldnt just be more appropriately named something else?

    After 2-3 semesters of grad QM its time for QFT/Relativity/Critical Phenomena or something else?
  6. Mar 14, 2013 #5
    ok can I go to math grad school and take my required math classes and then take QM classes for mathematicians
  7. Mar 14, 2013 #6


    User Avatar

    There aren't QM classes for mathematicians. There are only QM classes in physics and chemistry departments. If you want to take a course in QM, study physics or physical chemistry.
  8. Mar 14, 2013 #7
    I know for a fact their are math programs that teach QM, their emphasis is a little different
  9. Mar 14, 2013 #8
    What are you trying to accomplish? Are you aiming for a Master's or a PhD? As mentioned before, you will need to take other course alongside QM. Some departments will allow you take courses outside of the department with consent.
  10. Mar 14, 2013 #9
    This is true. It is also possible to take a QM from the physics department if the person/people (advisor/dept) approves it.
  11. Mar 14, 2013 #10
    Ideally I would like to study infinite combinatorics , knot theory, QM, and relativity all at the same place to at least earn a masters
  12. Mar 15, 2013 #11


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    Do you have even a single source to back this up? Take a look at old Caltech courses for some counter examples to this insane claim (e.g. the older ma 148c).
  13. Mar 15, 2013 #12
    I suppose if he only means classes which have that exact name otherwise every university I have attended had such a class although under different names.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook