1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about graduate school.

1. Jun 13, 2013 #1
    hi
    what's the strategy of graduate schools when they accept or deny applicants?
    if I finish my bachelor degree with a strong GPA like 3.6 and above but from a normal school like Cleveland State university while this school is accredited for sure ,will I have a chance when applying to schools like UIUC,purdue,UT and A&M for the graduate level?
    I mean when having a high GPA ,will that increase your chance getting into schools like the above ?? wherever you come from?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2013 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

Yes, I did my undergrad at a school in Canada that you've probably never heard of, and I was accepted to UIUC. It's no guarantee that you will get in, but it's not out of the question. It helps if you have research experience and good letters of recommendation.

4. Jun 13, 2013 #3
    High GPA is always good.

You can get into good schools after coming from a average or low school. I came from a tiny department at a public school that's mostly unheard of and i was able to get into MIT, Harvard, Berkeley, UIUC, and U Mich.

5. Jun 13, 2013 #4
    I would appreciate it if you tell me what school you came from,what was your GPA and how did you get into those schools?

6. Jun 13, 2013 #5
    I'm from a school in Louisiana, and it isn't LSU. No PhD program in physics. That can tell you enough.

3.99, but I think GPA only matters to a certain point. A low GPA will keep you out, but a high GPA won't get you in. Same for GRE scores.

How? Based on my application, some people wanted me and others didn't (rejected from Caltech, Stanford, and Yale). My GPA was high, but my PGRE was only okay. Recommendation letters, research experience, and networking is more important than GPA. Grad programs admit people, not numbers. I did several REUs and got letters from the people I worked for and I suppose they thought highly of my work. I didn't publish any papers, but I always did my best, got to lab early, was independent but asked questions when I needed to, etc (you know, the advice your dad is always giving you about working a job). Think of your application as proof that you will be a good researcher in physics. They're taking a chance by admitting you an paying you, so convince them that you're a good investment and will be an asset.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook