Question about Graduate Studies in Engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing a graduate degree in electrical engineering after completing a bachelor's degree in physics. The conversation also touches on the importance of having a strong application and the potential benefits of having a diverse academic background. The topic of humanities and social science courses in engineering programs is also brought up. The conversation concludes with a brief mention of the importance of strong writing skills in a career as a professional physicist.
zhongsan
This might seem to be a silly question. But is it possible to pursue a grudate degree in electrical engineering after I complete a bachelor's degree in physics? And if it's possible, do I need higher GPA than a person with bachelor's degree in engineering to get in? Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, you may need to have a stronger set of application credentials than an engineering major, because of the risk that you bring with you. In some places however, diversity is welcome, and an engineer with a physics background would be considered an asset.

Thank you very much for your answer. But what do you mean by "a stronger set of application credentials"? If I have a GPA of 3.5, what are my chances of being admitted?

My physics instructor said I could do that. That's one of the reasons I decided to stick to physics instead of switching to EE. If I decide I don't want to do EE, I'll go into some other area, but I couldn't really do that with straight EE. I might have to take a few extra classes, but I think I'll be fine.

PL

Poop-Loops said:
My physics instructor said I could do that. That's one of the reasons I decided to stick to physics instead of switching to EE. If I decide I don't want to do EE, I'll go into some other area, but I couldn't really do that with straight EE. I might have to take a few extra classes, but I think I'll be fine.

PL

I'm kind of in the same situation here. Plus here in Canada we are required to take one humanity/social science course per semester(almost) if we are in an undergrad engineering program. Those are definitely going to destroy my grade. So I suppose I'll get a better grade if I stay in physics.

Really? Those are the classes that BOOSTED my grades. :P Intro to Sociology, Intro to Psychology. Now I just need a humanities course. I'm thinking of challenging myself with a writing class and actually learning something, but I don't know...

How useful is persuasive writing in physics?

PL

I don't know about persuasive writing exactly, but being able to write VERY WELL is essential to a career as a professional physicist. Having to write proposals for funding, reports for the funding once you obtain it and the papers that come out of the research are truly essential to being a physicist. One of the classes I am now most thankful I took as an undergrad was an intensive writing course. It has helped me secure a good amount of funding for my Ph.D. research.
Hope this helps.

1. What are the requirements for admission to graduate studies in engineering?

The specific requirements for graduate studies in engineering may vary depending on the university or program you are interested in. However, some common requirements may include a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field, a strong academic record, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.

2. What types of engineering degrees are available at the graduate level?

There are a variety of engineering degrees available at the graduate level, including Master of Science (MSc), Master of Engineering (MEng), and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). These degrees may also have specializations within specific areas of engineering, such as mechanical, electrical, or civil engineering.

3. How long does it typically take to complete a graduate degree in engineering?

The length of time it takes to complete a graduate degree in engineering can vary depending on the program and your individual circumstances. On average, a Master's degree can take 1-2 years to complete, while a PhD can take 4-6 years.

4. Can I work while pursuing a graduate degree in engineering?

Many graduate programs in engineering offer part-time or online options, allowing students to work while pursuing their degree. However, it is important to carefully consider your workload and time management skills to ensure you can balance both effectively.

5. What career opportunities are available with a graduate degree in engineering?

A graduate degree in engineering can open up a wide range of career opportunities, including roles in research and development, consulting, management, and academia. The specific career path you pursue may depend on your specialization and interests within the field of engineering.