1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about graphing

1. Sep 19, 2006 #1
    hi guys this is my first time posting on here hope it's in the right section
    well heres my problem i have a ploted an inverse relationship ( hyperbole ) on my graph now my teacher wants me to make the graph into a linear relationship, he also gave us an equation which is y=k/x, now how would i go about doing this? i will provide more information if this is not enough...

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2006 #2

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Welcome mushroom,

I will try to answer your question.

The relationship between the variables of a linear graph, say [itex]u,v[/itex], is of the form

[tex]v = grad\ u + v_o[/tex]

where [itex]grad[/itex] is the gradient of the graph and [itex]v_o[/itex] is the value of the dependent variable when the independent variable is zero. That is [itex]v[/itex] when [itex]u=0[/itex].

A special case arises when [itex]v_o = 0[/itex] then whe have

[tex]v = grad\ u[/tex]

a directly proportional relationship with a straight line graph through the origin.

By plotting your [itex]y[/itex] values against [itex]u = \frac{1}{x}[/itex] values the relationship take on the same form:

[tex]y = grad\ u[/tex]

so that we get a directly proportional relationship between [itex]y[/itex] and [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex].

Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  4. Sep 20, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Andrevdh's point was, that if y= k/x so that plotting y against x gives a hyperbola, then plotting y against 1/x rather than x (so the X-coordinate of the point is 1/x rather than x) gives the straight line graph y= kX.

I would also recommend noting that log(y)= log(k/x)= log(k)- log(x). If you graph log(y) against log(x) you get a straight line. In fact it used to be (probably still is, but computers have changed so many things) possible to buy "log-log" graph paper which was ruled so that marking "3" on an axis you were actually marking "log(3)".

5. Sep 20, 2006 #4

nazzard

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?