1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about gravity

1. Feb 5, 2008 #1
    My professor gave us a question about gravity but I just have no idea how to explain it. I hope somebody will help me out as soon as possible, thanks a lot.

Question: How does gravity affect us without even touching us unlike other forces?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hint: Consider the analogy of an electrostatics and how electrostatics makes use of electric fields.
  4. Feb 5, 2008 #3
    well, I still kinda don't get the correct idea, can somebody help me out?
  5. Feb 6, 2008 #4
    The simple answer is that's just the way it is; that is, gravity doesn't have to touch us to affect us as contact forces do. If you want have a more intuitive understanding, and if you have not seen the analogy to electrostatics yet, look up gravitational field. Consider, what is a field? What does the strength of the force of gravity depend on? What does the strength of the acceleration of gravity depend on?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?