Discover the Fascinating Effects of Gravity in Elevators | FAQ Answered

• Thread starter aleferesco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the sensation of feeling lighter or heavier in an elevator is relative to our sense of up and down. When accelerating in the direction of our feet (i.e. down), we feel lighter, and when accelerating in the direction of our head (i.e. up), we feel heavier. This is due to Newton's laws of motion. Therefore, when the elevator is at the top and stopping, we will feel lighter because it is accelerating downwards with gravity. The same applies when the elevator is starting to go down. However, if the elevator is going up, we will feel heavier as the acceleration of the elevator and gravity combine to create a stronger force.
aleferesco
I'm just wondering, when I'm in an elevator going up/down when do I feel lighter?

Physics news on Phys.org
I could be wrong, but I believe you will feel lighter as you go with gravity and feel heavier when you go against gravity. So when you go up you are going against gravity and thus will feel heavier.
This is my logic of thinking anyways...no idea if it is correct.

"Lighter" and "heavier" are sensations that are relative to our sense of up and down.

You will feel lighter when you accelerating in the direction of your feet (i.e. down), and heavier when accelerating in the direction of your head (i.e. up).

You are accelerating down at the top of an elevator ride (whether it is a ride up or a ride down). You are accelerating up at the bottom of an elevator ride (whether it is a ride up or a ride down).

but when would you say you feel lighter, at the beginning, middle or end of the elevator ride??

when you are at the top and the elevator is stopping. You will feel lighter because the elevator is accelerating downword, with gravity and your body in motion, according to one of Newtons laws, will continue in motion giving you somewhat of a free falling feeling.

Doogan1 said:
when you are at the top and the elevator is stopping.
As well as when you are at the top and the elevator is starting (down).

it depends on which direction you are going, if the elevator is going up, the force you feel is m(a+g) where a is the acceleration of the elevator and g is acceleration of gravity.
If you are going down, then acceleration switches direction and what you feel is m(g-a), which is the reason why you feel lighter
hope taht answers everything

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards each other. It is a fundamental force that governs the motion of objects in the universe.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity works by exerting a force on objects with mass. This force is proportional to the mass of the objects and their distance from each other. The larger the mass and the closer the objects are, the stronger the force of gravity between them.

3. Who discovered gravity?

Sir Isaac Newton is credited with discovering the concept of gravity in the late 17th century. He formulated the law of universal gravitation, which explains the force of gravity between two objects.

4. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is typically measured in kilograms, while weight is measured in newtons.

5. How does gravity affect the motion of objects?

Gravity affects the motion of objects by pulling them towards each other. This causes objects to accelerate towards each other, resulting in motion. The strength of gravity determines the rate of acceleration and the path of an object's motion.