Explaining the Transitivity of SU(n) Action on U(n)/O(n)

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, the action of SU(n) on the subgroup of U(n)/O(n) consisting of the classes UO(n) with det(U)=\pm 1 is transitive. This is a definite fact, as stated by Arnold in a famous article. If det(U)=1, then U is in SU(n) and thus SU(n) can send O(n) (Identity*O(n)) to every class of the form U(n). If det(U)=-1, then U=V*(-I) where I is the identity and V is in SU(n). By choosing appropriate kth roots of unity on the diagonal in V, we can ensure that det(V)=-1. Thus, U*O(n)
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Can anyone explain to me why the action of SU(n) on U(n)/O(n) is transitive? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems like that shouldn't be true. Given [tex]A \in U[/tex], the determinant of every element of [tex]A*O(n)[/tex] will be [tex] \pm det(A)[/tex]. Multiplying by an element of [tex]SU[/tex] shouldn't change the determinants, which means that you can't get matrices of every unit determinant by acting via the special unitary group.

I don't know, maybe I'm just confused. Is this definitely fact?

Eeeck, did I write that? Terribly sorry, I am tired.

I meant to ask:

Can anyone explain to me why the action of SU(n) on the subgroup of U(n)/O(n) consisting of the classes UO(n) with det(U)=[itex]\pm 1[/itex] is transitive?

This is a definite fact in so far as it is stated explicitely by Arnold in a famous article of his.

Last edited:
If det(U)=1, then U is in SU(n), so obviously SU(n) can send O(n) (Identity*O(n)) to every class of the form U(n).

If det(U)=--1, then U=V*(-I) where I is the identity, and V is in SU(n). -I is in O(n) so UO(n)=V*(-I)O(n=VO(n). det(V)=1 so we have reduced to the case above

EDIT: Woops. Obviously doesn't work for even values of n

Instead of just -1's, which are primitive second roots of unity, you need to have appropriate kth roots of unity on the diagonal when making V so that the determinant of your scalar matrix is -1

But then the matrix isn't orthogonal. I'm going to have to think about itFINAL EDIT (I hope): Ok here it is If det(U)=1, then obviously U*O(n) is contained in SU(n)*O(n). If det(U)=-1, let V be any matrix from O(n) with determinant -1 (e.g. reflection over an axis). Then [tex]U=U*V^{-1}*V[/tex] and [tex]U*V^{-1}*V*O(n)=U*V^{-1}*O(n)[/tex]. Obviously [tex]det(U*V^{-1})=1[/tex] so we're done

Last edited:
Oh! Yes it looks so simple when we know the solution isn't it.

Check this version, it makes it look utterly trivial.

Take UO(n), and U'O(n) any two classes in the subgroup of interest. Because O(n) contains a matrix J of determinant -1 (for instance J:=diag(-1 1 ... 1)), then we may assume WLOG that U and U' are in SU(n): UO(n)=(UJ)O(n). But SU(n), as with any group, acts transitively on itself, so we're done.

But of course you did all the hard work; thanks! ;)

1. What is a group action?

A group action is a mathematical concept that describes the way a group of elements (such as numbers or transformations) can act on another set of objects. This action preserves the structure and properties of the objects being acted upon and follows a set of rules defined by the group.

2. What are some examples of group actions?

Examples of group actions include rotation and translation of objects in geometry, multiplication of numbers in algebra, and permutations of elements in combinatorics. Group actions can also be applied to more abstract settings such as symmetries in physics and transformations in computer science.

3. How is a group action represented?

A group action can be represented in different ways depending on the context. In mathematics, it is often represented by a group acting on a set of objects, denoted as G * X, where G is the group and X is the set. In applications like physics and computer science, the group action may be represented using matrices or other mathematical structures.

4. What is the importance of group actions?

Group actions have a wide range of applications in various fields of mathematics, physics, and computer science. They provide a powerful tool for understanding and analyzing symmetry, patterns, and transformations in different systems. Group actions also have practical applications in cryptography, coding theory, and data analysis.

5. How do group actions relate to group theory?

Group actions are closely related to group theory, which is the mathematical study of groups and their properties. Group actions can be used to define and understand the structure and properties of groups, and conversely, group theory can be applied to analyze and classify different types of group actions.