1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about groups ?

1. Jul 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Does Euler's totient function tell me how many elements are in my group?

And once I know how many elements are in my group. the generators are the ones that are relatively prime with the number of element in my group.
    Are my statements correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Could you please clarify a bit? What group exactly are you talking about? Are you talking about the invertible elements of [itex]\mathbb{Z}_n[/itex]??

4. Jul 23, 2011 #3
    I am talking about the elements in Z(star)n . so the elements in my group have no common factors other than 1 with n,

5. Jul 23, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, the number of elements in 2n is indeed phi(n). With phi the Euler totient function.
    But your statement of the generators is not true. It's very difficult to find generators for such a groups...

6. Jul 23, 2011 #5
    thanks for your help, my book is not very clear on how to find generators. Should I try to read another book on finding generators or make a Cayley table.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook