1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Ideal Gas Law

1. Jul 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A sample containing only NO2 and SO2 has a total pressure of 120 torr. Measurements show that the partial pressure of NO2 is 43 torr. If the vessel has a volume of 800.0 ml and the temperature is 22.0°C, how many moles of each gas are present?

2. Relevant equations

PV = nRT

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to solve it using the equation above by solving for n for each gas (using their given pressure).
    For the n of NO2, I had the answer 3.1 x 10-3 (using n = PV/RT).
    But the book provides a different answer for it which is 1.9 x 10-3.

My question is I would like to know how my answer turned to be incorrect. I don't know any other possible methods of solving this than the ideal gas law.
    Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I suspect you have either an arithmetic mistake and/or a mistake in units.

Please post the details of your calculations.

4. Jul 4, 2013 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Book answer is correct.

5. Jul 4, 2013 #4
    Okay guys, I got it. I had an error in manipulating the equations. Thank you PF for helping me resolve the problem!

6. Jul 5, 2013 #5
    I'm curious as to how you arrived at the correct answer. Could you show your work?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted