Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Independent Random Variables and iid

1. Jun 15, 2005 #1
    I have a question about independent random variable:
    Let say we flip a fair coin, the set of outcome is S={H,T}, P(H)=1/2, P(T)=1/2. Define random variable X:S->R by X(H)=1, X(T)=-1.
    From what I read in books, I can define X1 and X2 as independent identically distributed (iid) random variables with the same distribution as X. Then, that would mean P(X1=1,X2=1)=P(X1=1)P(X2=1).
    It can easily be seen that the event {X1=1,X2=1}={w in S:X1(w)=1,X2(w)=1}={w in S:w=H}={w in S:X1(w)=1}={X1=1}={w in S:X2(w)=1}={X2=1}, and since P({w:w=H})=P(H)=1/2, we have P(X1=1,X2=1)=1/2 and P(X1=1)P(X2=1)=1/4.
    So, I am not sure exactly what I mistake I made. Please help me clear up my confusion. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The sample space (S) for two flips has four points (H,H), (H,T), (T,H), (T,T), each of which has probability 1/4. In abstract terms, the sample space for n independent random variables is the direct product of the sample spaces of each of the variables.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?