Question About Indirect vs. Direct Bandgap Semiconductors

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between direct and indirect bandgap semiconductors and the methods for determining which type a material is. This includes using specific wavelengths of light and looking for emissions, as well as the definitions and characteristics of each type.
eNtRopY
Let's say I have an unknown material and I wanted to determine whether it is has an indirect or a direct bandgap. Is there a standard experiment for doing this without assuming we know the bandgap energy a priori?

eNtRopY

Physics news on Phys.org
This thought just occurred to me...

Maybe you could bombard the surface of the semiconductor with a specific wavelength of light and look for emissions of another wavelength. If the emitted wavelengths have a different frequency than the impinging wavelengths, then there the bandgap must be indirect because some of the added energy would have to be converted to phonon energy in order for an emission to take place.

Any thoughts?

eNtRopY

So what is

the definition of direct and indirect bandgap? I can't say that I've heard the terms.

Originally posted by Tyger
the definition of direct and indirect bandgap? I can't say that I've heard the terms.

Well, a direct bandgap has a conductance band minima and a valence band maxima at the same wavevector. An indirect bandgap does not. This becomes important for optical reasons. In a direct bandgap semiconductor, like GaAs, you can have absorption and emission of photons without requiring phonons for momentum conservation.

eNtRopY

indirect bandgap semiconductor:
semiconductor in which bottom of the conduction band does not occur at k=0 at which top of the valence band occur; energy released during electron recombination with a hole is converted primarily into phonon; e.g. Si, Ge, GaP.
(Phonon: A quasiparticle which is a quantized sound wave.)

direct bandgap semiconductor:
semiconductor in which the bottom of the conduction band and the top of the valence band occur at the momentum k=0; energy released during band-to-band electron recombination with a hole is converted primarily into radiation (radiant recombination) wavelength of which is determined by the energy gap; e.g. GaAs, InP.

So, give the semiconductor some energy and if it makes light-it's direct. If you measure the wavelength/frequency of the light, you can get the energy gap of a direct bandgap semiconductor.
I don't think an indirect bandgap semiconductor will produce light, or at least much less than a direct bandgap semiconductor.

P.S. Direct bandgap semiconductors are sometimes reffered to as "optically active" and indirect as "optically inactive".

1. What is the difference between indirect and direct bandgap semiconductors?

Indirect bandgap semiconductors have a bandgap energy level that is located at different points in the energy band structure, making it more difficult for electrons to transition between the conduction and valence bands. Direct bandgap semiconductors have a bandgap energy level that is located at the same point in the band structure, allowing for easier electron transitions.

2. Which type of bandgap semiconductor is more efficient for light emission?

Direct bandgap semiconductors are more efficient for light emission because of their ability to easily transition electrons from the conduction to valence bands, creating more light emission.

3. How do indirect and direct bandgap semiconductors impact the efficiency of solar cells?

The efficiency of solar cells is impacted by the type of bandgap semiconductor used. Direct bandgap semiconductors are more efficient at converting light into electricity, making them a preferred choice for solar cells over indirect bandgap semiconductors.

4. Can indirect and direct bandgap semiconductors be used interchangeably in electronic devices?

No, indirect and direct bandgap semiconductors have different properties and behaviors, making them unsuitable for interchangeable use in electronic devices. Direct bandgap semiconductors are better for applications requiring light emission, while indirect bandgap semiconductors are better for applications requiring energy storage.

5. What materials are commonly used for indirect and direct bandgap semiconductors?

Common materials used for indirect bandgap semiconductors include silicon, germanium, and gallium arsenide. Common materials used for direct bandgap semiconductors include gallium nitride, zinc oxide, and indium phosphide.