1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about induced E field.

1. May 26, 2012 #1
    Lets say I have an infinite line charge. And I am standing next to it and then we both go into free fall towards earth. The line charge is falling vertically towards earth. In my frame It feels like I am floating in free space. But to someone on the ground they see an increasing current so this changing B field should induce an E field. In my free fall do I perceive the induced E field that is in the direction of increasing current? And obviously there is a static E field from the line charge.

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2012 #2
    No. In your frame,you donot percieve the induced emf if u and the line chare are both falling at same speed(i am assuming it a free fall. In this case the line charge is static w.r.t you and hence no change in magnetic field in your frame and u dont percieve the induced emf.

(Note:- some areas of electrodynamics doesnt support special relativity as shown recently in a paper.)

4. May 27, 2012 #3
    what is this paper called

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook