Understanding the Impact of Rapid RPM Change on Torque

In summary, rapid change of RPM causes an increase in torque. This is the reason why cars tend to make tires slip when we try to launch at very high RPM. The extra torque added to engine torque can be beneficial in some cases, like at the drag strip.
Emre
Hello,I've read somewhere that during launch rapid change of RPM causes an increase in torque?What is the point of this?İs that the reason why cars tend to make tires slip when we try to launch at very high RPM?The extra torque added to engine torque?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Emre said:
Hello,I've read somewhere that during launch rapid change of RPM causes an increase in torque?What is the point of this?İs that the reason why cars tend to make tires slip when we try to launch at very high RPM?The extra torque added to engine torque?
Yeah, me too. But I don't remember either where it was. Maybe in Reader's Digest at my dentist office? Or in People Magazine at my barber's waiting room? Let me try to remember.

Or, you could actually post a link to where you read this. Do you think that the quality of the replies you receive might actually depend on the quality of your question? Can you please try to post some more information to support your question, and help us to try to address your question? Thank you.

Likes anorlunda
berkeman said:
Do you think that the quality of the replies you receive might actually depend on the quality of your question? Can you please try to post some more information to support your question, and help us to try to address your question? Thank you.
Look, sorry that I was a bit harsh in my reply. But it really is an important thing to try to post your question the best that you can in discussion forums. That helps others to help you, and gets you the best answers and tips for more reading and learning that you can do.

There have been some useful discussion threads here on the PF in the past about optimum use of the clutch in high-power vehicle launches (like at a drag strip), and other engine management tricks to maximize traction and minimize ETs at the dragstrip. So if you can post a couple links to your reading, and tell us what you have learned so far, that will help a lot in the replies you get. Thanks.

1. What is RPM change and how does it affect torque?

RPM change refers to the change in revolutions per minute of a rotating object. It affects torque by changing the angular velocity of the object, which in turn affects the amount of force it can produce.

2. How does rapid RPM change impact torque?

Rapid RPM change can impact torque by causing fluctuations in the angular velocity of the rotating object. This can lead to inconsistent or unpredictable torque output, which can affect the performance and efficiency of the system.

3. Can rapid RPM change cause damage to the system?

Yes, rapid RPM change can cause damage to the system if it exceeds the maximum RPM limit that the system is designed to handle. This can result in mechanical stress, overheating, or even failure of the system.

4. How can the impact of rapid RPM change on torque be measured?

The impact of rapid RPM change on torque can be measured by conducting experiments and analyzing data on the torque output at different RPM levels. Other factors such as the type of motor, load, and control system also need to be taken into consideration.

5. How can the negative effects of rapid RPM change on torque be mitigated?

The negative effects of rapid RPM change on torque can be mitigated by implementing proper control systems and using motors and equipment that are designed to handle high RPM changes. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the system can also help prevent damage and optimize performance.