Question about inertia

1. adjacent

adjacent 1,533
    Gold Member

The Coin(Green) in lying on a paper which is lying on a box.When I pull the paper with a higher force so that I could remove it easily,the coins stays about the same place.
    When I remove the paper slowly,the coin comes with the paper.
    Why?

I think that objects can react(Move) to smaller forces easily but for larger forces,it doesn't.
    What do you think?

Attached Files:

• jj.png
      jj.png
      File size:
      341 bytes
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. DaleSpam

Staff: Mentor

Because the coefficient of static friction is higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction.

No, that is wrong.

4. adjacent

adjacent 1,533
    Gold Member

What?I don't Understand

5. jbriggs444

jbriggs444 1,651
    Science Advisor

In addition to the difference between static and kinetic friction, there is the difference between fast and slow.

If you pull the paper with high force, you pull it fast. There is not much time for the coin to speed up. If you pull the paper with low force, you pull it slow. There is more time for the coin to speed up.

The momentum delivered by a fixed force over a time interval is proportional to the duration of that interval.

6. DaleSpam

Staff: Mentor

Static friction force is given by [itex]f_s\le\mu_s N[/itex] and kinetic friction force is given by [itex]f_k=\mu_k N[/itex]. In both cases N (the normal force) is the same, so ##f_s## (the friction force without slipping) can be larger than ##f_k## (the friction force with slipping).

7. adjacent

adjacent 1,533
    Gold Member

Oh .Now I Understood.Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted