Why Does Inertia Affect Movement of Coin on Paper?

• Thread starter adjacent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inertia
In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of friction and how it affects the movement of objects on different surfaces. It is mentioned that the coefficient of static friction is higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction, meaning that it takes more force to move an object from a stationary position than to keep it in motion. Additionally, the rate at which a force is applied can also affect the movement of the object. When a force is applied slowly, there is more time for the object to speed up, but when a force is applied quickly, there is less time for the object to speed up. This is due to the relationship between force, time, and momentum.
adjacent
Gold Member
The Coin(Green) in lying on a paper which is lying on a box.When I pull the paper with a higher force so that I could remove it easily,the coins stays about the same place.
When I remove the paper slowly,the coin comes with the paper.
Why?

I think that objects can react(Move) to smaller forces easily but for larger forces,it doesn't.
What do you think?

Attachments

• jj.png
    jj.png
    358 bytes · Views: 474
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
adjacent said:
Why?
Because the coefficient of static friction is higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction.

adjacent said:
I think that objects can react(Move) to smaller forces easily but for larger forces,it doesn't.
What do you think?
No, that is wrong.

DaleSpam said:
Because the coefficient of static friction is higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction.
What?I don't Understand

In addition to the difference between static and kinetic friction, there is the difference between fast and slow.

If you pull the paper with high force, you pull it fast. There is not much time for the coin to speed up. If you pull the paper with low force, you pull it slow. There is more time for the coin to speed up.

The momentum delivered by a fixed force over a time interval is proportional to the duration of that interval.

Static friction force is given by [itex]f_s\le\mu_s N[/itex] and kinetic friction force is given by [itex]f_k=\mu_k N[/itex]. In both cases N (the normal force) is the same, so ##f_s## (the friction force without slipping) can be larger than ##f_k## (the friction force with slipping).

Oh .Now I Understood.Thanks

1. Why does inertia affect the movement of a coin on paper?

Inertia is a property of matter that describes its resistance to changes in motion. This means that an object at rest will tend to stay at rest, and an object in motion will tend to stay in motion at a constant speed and direction, unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does inertia affect the movement of a coin on paper?

In the case of a coin on paper, the coin is initially at rest. When a force is applied to the coin, such as sliding it across the paper, the coin will continue to move in the same direction and at the same speed due to its inertia. This is because there is no opposing force acting on the coin to slow it down or change its direction.

3. Can inertia affect the movement of a coin on paper if the paper is tilted?

Yes, inertia will still affect the movement of the coin on a tilted paper. The coin will move in the direction of the applied force, but due to the tilt of the paper, it may also experience a downward force due to gravity. However, this force will not be enough to significantly change the coin's movement, as it is still being affected by its inertia.

4. How does the mass of the coin affect its inertia on paper?

The mass of an object is directly proportional to its inertia. This means that a larger mass will have a greater resistance to changes in motion, and therefore a larger force is required to move it. In the case of a coin on paper, a heavier coin may require more force to overcome its inertia and move it across the paper.

5. Can the surface of the paper affect the inertia of the coin?

Yes, the surface of the paper can have an impact on the inertia of the coin. If the paper is rough or has friction, it may provide a slight opposing force to the movement of the coin, which can affect its inertia. However, this effect is usually minimal and does not significantly alter the movement of the coin on the paper.