What is the purpose of dx in an integral?

• Thread starter ludi_srbin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the conversation is about writing integrals and understanding the notation used. The "dx" in an integral refers to the variable of integration and it is notated differently depending on the variable used. To write equations with Latex, double click on the equation and a window will open with the code. For more information on Latex, check the "sticky" in the "General Physics" thread.
ludi_srbin
Hmmmmmm...Well I guess my first question is how do I write the integral...Do I have to have some sort of program or...?

Anyway, let's say I have some kind of simple integral and there is dx in front of it. What is that dx there for.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean how to you notate it? The "dx" refers to the variable of integration. If you were in terms of y, you would write "dy".

An example: [tex]\int xdx[/tex] This is in terms of the variable x, so we notate that by writing dx.

O thanks. :smile:

If you are asking about how to put such equations on this forum, double click on any equation you are interested in and a window will open showing the Latex code.

Double click on:
[tex]\int xdx[/tex]

For more information on Latex, see the "sticky" in the "General Physics" thread.

O yeah :smile: . I forgot about that. Thanks man. I aprrecaite it.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is used to find the total value of a continuous function over a given interval.

2. How do you solve integrals?

Integrals can be solved using different methods such as integration by parts, substitution, and partial fractions. The method used depends on the complexity of the function being integrated.

3. What is the difference between indefinite and definite integrals?

An indefinite integral does not have specified limits, and it represents a family of functions. A definite integral has specific limits and gives a single numerical value as the result.

4. Why are integrals important?

Integrals have many practical applications in physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to calculate areas, volumes, and other quantities in real-world problems.

5. What are the properties of integrals?

Some of the properties of integrals include linearity, the integral of a sum is the sum of integrals, and the integral of a constant is equal to the constant times the interval. Additionally, the integral of a function over a closed interval is equal to the negative integral of the same function over the same interval but in the opposite direction.