Calculating Jet Size & True Length from Redshift & Hubble Constant

• Thread starter wolfpack693
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jets
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the size of a quasar's jet given its redshift, Hubble constant, and angular measure on the sky. The first part asks for a formula to calculate the size, while the second part inquires about the true length in light years when the jet is pointed at an angle. The response asks for the person to show their work before receiving help with their homework question.
wolfpack693
2 part question.

1st part: I am givin the redshift of a quasar is .158 and Hubble constant of 65km/s/Mpc. I am asked to find the size of the jet(ly) as projected on the sky which has an angular measure of 15 arc secs. I've looked up ways and on any formulas that could help me but haven't found anything. Does anyone know how to get the size (formula wise).

2nd part: What is the true length in light years if it is pointed along the line of sight but off at an angle of 6 degrees?

Now this part I don't understand where to start from.

Anything helps thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. You need to show some work before we can help you with homework questions. What have you tried thus far?

I can help you with calculating the jet size and true length from the given information. To calculate the size of the jet, we can use the formula:

Jet Size (ly) = (Redshift * Speed of Light * Distance to Quasar) / Hubble Constant

In this case, the redshift is 0.158, the speed of light is approximately 3 x 10^8 m/s, and the Hubble constant is 65 km/s/Mpc. However, we need to convert the angular measure of 15 arc secs to radians to find the distance to the quasar.

Distance to Quasar (Mpc) = 15 arc secs * (1/3600) * (1/60) * (pi/180) * (1/206265) = 0.0000026 Mpc

Now, we can plug in all the values in the formula to find the jet size:

Jet Size (ly) = (0.158 * 3 x 10^8 m/s * 0.0000026 Mpc) / 65 km/s/Mpc = 0.0000032 ly

For the second part, we need to use the formula:

True Length (ly) = Jet Size (ly) / sin(angle)

In this case, the angle is 6 degrees, so we have:

True Length (ly) = 0.0000032 ly / sin(6 degrees) = 0.0000026 ly

Therefore, the true length of the jet in light years is 0.0000026 ly. I hope this helps you with your calculations. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

1. How do I calculate jet size from redshift and Hubble constant?

To calculate the jet size, you can use the formula: jet size = (redshift * speed of light) / (Hubble constant * angular size). This formula takes into account the redshift, which is a measure of how much the light from an object has been stretched due to its motion, and the Hubble constant, which is a measure of the rate of expansion of the universe. The angular size refers to the apparent size of the jet on the sky.

2. What is the Hubble constant and why is it important in calculating jet size?

The Hubble constant is a measure of the current rate of expansion of the universe. It is an important factor in calculating jet size because it helps to determine the distance to the object and the amount of expansion that has occurred since the light from the object was emitted. This information is necessary for accurately measuring the jet size.

3. Can I use any value for the Hubble constant in the calculation?

No, it is important to use the most accurate and up-to-date value for the Hubble constant in the calculation. This value is constantly being refined through observations and measurements, and using an incorrect value can lead to inaccurate results.

4. How does redshift affect the calculation of jet size?

Redshift is a measure of how much the light from an object has been stretched due to its motion. As an object moves away from us, its light becomes more redshifted, and this affects the calculation of jet size. The higher the redshift, the larger the calculated jet size will be, as the object appears to be moving away from us at a faster rate.

5. Are there any limitations to using this method to calculate jet size?

Yes, there are limitations to this method. First, it assumes that the jet is traveling at a constant speed, which may not always be the case. Additionally, this method may not be accurate for objects that are extremely far away or have high redshifts, as the calculation relies on the Hubble constant, which may not be accurately determined for these objects.