Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Juice

1. Mar 28, 2007 #1

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the difference between concentrate and pure juice?

Also, what about organic concentrated juice?

What's the deal?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2007 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Concentrate, as the name suggests, has had most of the water removed to be stored more concentrated. Usually, this allows it be frozen for longer storage. It does change the flavor, and I'm not sure, but probably the storage time also leads to some vitamin loss. It's reconstituted with water later (either when packaged into cartons for juice "from concentrate" or you reconstitute it yourself when you buy the little can of concentrate in the freezer section and make it up at home).

Organic just means it comes from fruit raised using organic farming methods.

4. Mar 28, 2007 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, which would you prefer personally Moonbear?

I personally want Pure Juice, but that's really hard to find.

5. Mar 28, 2007 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Personally, I prefer pure, fresh juice. It just tastes better. You can find orange juice like that, but for most other juices, you're right, really hard to find. I have a hard enough time finding any other juices that don't have sweeteners added (my favorite to laugh at are the 100% juice, but it's really 10% of whatever juice it's supposed to be and another 90% of apple juice for sweetness, or some such nonsense). So, mostly I just avoid juice entirely, because it is mostly sugar water, and stick with eating whole fruit whenever possible.

6. Mar 28, 2007 #5
    It's because you live in USA/Canada.. Here in Europe you can still find plenty of pure juice. But for new years eve we wanted some pineapple juice, and it was almost impossible to find pure. :(

7. Mar 28, 2007 #6

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I found some Pure Pomagrante juice. I'm going to try that out today.

I eat plenty of fruits myself too, but I'm trying to lower my sugar intake. I'm probably pumping insulin 24 hours a day, 7 days a week! I can probably put that guy in the movie Super Size Me to shame when it comes to sugar intake. :redface:

8. Mar 28, 2007 #7
    Juice/fruit has a lot of natural sugar in it, thats why it taste sweet.

9. Mar 28, 2007 #8
    Of course, natural sugar (fructose) and refined sugar (sucrose) have distinct chemical compositions, leading to different taste and health properties.

There is a National apple juice brand Martenellis that is based in california.
    Their juice is made out of 100% fresh apples, and I find it to be the ultimate apple experience.

10. Mar 28, 2007 #9
    One good way to get pure natural juice is to buy a juicer. The downside is that it takes longer to clean up the thing than it does to make the juice.

11. Mar 28, 2007 #10

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No thanks!

I thought about it, but some are freakishly expensive.

12. Mar 28, 2007 #11

turbo

Gold Member

This one is not freakishly expensive. I actually got ours for less than $60. It was factory refurbished and looked like it was brand new. My wife and I have juiced all kinds of vegetables, fruits, and berries with it, and it spins up so fast that the pulp comes out impressively dry. If you decide to look for one, you may want to tweak your Google terms a bit, since this juicer is actually made by Waring. It is very heavy, built like a tank, and all the metal parts that contact food are stainless steel.

http://www.goodmans.net/item.asp?n=WA-RR6001&k=WA-RR6001&sc=FRGL

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  13. Mar 28, 2007 #12

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How's the cleaning?

14. Mar 28, 2007 #13

turbo

Gold Member

Cleaning is pretty easy. You have an internal spinning container with a heavy cutter disk in the bottom, secured by a spring-loaded clutch knob. Just unscrew the knob, lift out the cutter, and remove the SS basket. Scrape out the pulp, rinse the basket's screen with water and scrub with a brush, if needed.

What to do with bushels of sweet purple grapes growing along our treeline? Well, we have freezer bags full of juice in the freezers to mix with juice from our apples, frozen wild blackberries, strawberries, etc.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?