How do I calculate the work done in a kinetic theory problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve part biii of a homework problem involving changes in internal energy and work done. It is hypothesized that the process is adiabatic, but there is not enough information given to conclude that for certain. However, it is possible to use the given information to show that the process could have been adiabatic.
Clara Chung

Homework Statement

58.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

How to do part biii?
I tried to find change of U and W, then use ΔU-W=Q=0.
I can find the change in U by using the fact the rms of the x-component of the velocity is doubled. Therefore, originally, if isotropic <c2> = <vx2>+<vy2>+<vz2> = 3<v2x>,
now the new <vx2> is 4 times the old one, so the new mean square <c'2>=6<vx2>=2<c2>, so the new internal energy is double the old one. How about the work done? How to find it? I have only learned how to find adiabatic, isothermal and constant volume work done.

Attachments

• 58.png
    58.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 762
Physics news on Phys.org
If ## <v_x^2>_f=4 <v_x^2>_i ## , then ## <c^2>_f=4 <c^2>_i ##. ## \\ ## This one is hypothesized to be an adiabatic compression. You should be able to use the formula ## P_iV_i^{\gamma}=P_f V_f^{\gamma} ## to get ## P_f ## , and from that you can compute ## T_f ## on terms of ## T_i ##. If the hypothesis is correct, ## T_f=4 T_i ##. See if that is what you get.

Likes Clara Chung
Clara Chung said:
now the new <vx2> is 4 times the old one, so the new mean square <c'2>=6<vx2>
The factor of 6 is not correct. Check this.

Some things that might be helpful:
(1)By what factor does V change?
(2)By what factor does P change?

Are these changes compatible with an adiabatic process of a monatomic ideal gas?

I think that part (iii) of the question is poorly worded. All you are given is information about the initial and final states of the gas and the fact that the process was reversible. But between any two given states, there are infinitely many reversible processes that can take the system between the two states. These processes will generally differ in the amount of work done and the amount of heat transferred. I suspect that you are meant to show that it is possible for the process to be adiabatic. But there is not enough information to conclude that the process must have been adiabatic.

Likes Clara Chung and Charles Link
Thank you for the answers.
V decreases by a factor of 8.
So if I assume the process is adiabatic,
Tf = Ti (Vi/Vf)2/3 = 4Ti
It matches Uf/Ui = <c'2>/<c2> = 4
Therefore, the hypothesis might be correct, there is no heat flow?...

Likes Charles Link
Yes, that looks good. The process could have been adiabatic.

Likes Clara Chung and Charles Link

1. What is kinetic theory?

Kinetic theory is a scientific explanation of how particles in matter behave. It states that all particles are in constant motion and that the temperature of a substance is directly related to the average kinetic energy of its particles.

2. How does kinetic theory explain the different states of matter?

Kinetic theory explains that the different states of matter (solid, liquid, gas) are a result of the level of kinetic energy and the strength of the intermolecular forces between particles. In a solid, the particles have low kinetic energy and strong intermolecular forces, while in a gas, the particles have high kinetic energy and weak intermolecular forces.

3. What is the relationship between temperature and kinetic energy?

According to the kinetic theory, temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance. As the temperature increases, so does the average kinetic energy of the particles, resulting in faster movement and increased collisions between particles.

4. Can kinetic theory be applied to all types of matter?

Yes, kinetic theory can be applied to all types of matter, including solids, liquids, and gases. It can also be used to explain the behavior of particles in plasma, which is a state of matter with high temperature and ionized particles.

5. How does kinetic theory relate to gas laws?

Kinetic theory is the basis for gas laws, such as Boyle's law and Charles' law. These laws describe the behavior of gases in terms of their volume, temperature, and pressure, and they can be explained by the movement and collisions of gas particles as described by kinetic theory.