Which equation should be used for Kirchoff's Law?

• Thread starter sachin123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations when determining voltage in a circuit and specifically addresses the calculation of potential difference from point A to point B. It is concluded that the potential difference is the sum of the potential differences across all sections of AB, which means that the p.d.s across all components must be added together.
sachin123
http://img51.imageshack.us/i/unledbh.jpg/"
http://img51.imageshack.us/i/unledbh.jpg/

please see the above image.
if I is the current from left to right in the circuit,
then
what equation shall I use?

V(BA) = I*R1 +I*R2
or
V(BA)= I*R1 +I*R2 - 5 (counting the emf battery connected)

Thank You.Please explain?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi sachin123! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

voltage is just another name for the difference in electric potential (p.d.) …

so the potential difference from A to B is the sum of the potential differences across all sections of AB …

so yes, you must add the p.d.s across all the components :wink:

Thank YOU tiny_tim:wink:

1. What is Kirchoff's Law?

Kirchoff's Law, also known as Kirchoff's Circuit Laws, are two principles that govern the behavior of electric circuits. These laws were developed by German physicist Gustav Kirchoff in the 19th century.

2. What are the two laws of Kirchoff?

The two laws of Kirchoff are the Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL) and the Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL). KCL states that the sum of currents entering a junction in a circuit must be equal to the sum of currents leaving the junction. KVL states that the sum of voltage drops in a closed loop must be equal to the sum of the voltage sources in that loop.

3. How are Kirchoff's Laws applied in circuit analysis?

Kirchoff's Laws are used to determine the unknown currents and voltages in a circuit. By applying KCL and KVL to different parts of a circuit, we can create a system of equations and solve for the unknown values using algebraic methods.

4. Are Kirchoff's Laws applicable to all types of circuits?

Yes, Kirchoff's Laws are applicable to all types of circuits, including DC and AC circuits. They can also be applied to complex circuits with multiple loops and branches.

5. What are some practical applications of Kirchoff's Laws?

Kirchoff's Laws are used in various fields, such as electrical engineering, electronics, and physics. They are helpful in designing and analyzing circuits, troubleshooting electrical problems, and predicting the behavior of electrical systems.