Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Landau level

1. Jan 28, 2010 #1
    The hamiltonian is [tex]H=\frac{1}{2}(\vec{p}+\frac{\vec{A}}{c})[/tex]. We investigate this problem at a polar coordinate [tex](r,\theta)[/tex]. The radial equation is
    in order to find the wavefunction, we must investigate the behavior at the infinity of the differential euqtion.my question is that why the approximate equation take this form at infinity.[tex]r\rightarrow\infty[/tex], the equation becomes
    by the way, the energy is [tex]E=\omega_L(2n+|m|+m+1)[/tex]. we can see that when [tex]r\rightarrow\infty[/tex], then [tex]n\rightarrow\infty[/tex], so the energy above becomes infinity. then we can't omit [tex][E-m\omega_{L}]u(r)[/tex] in the above approximate equation. In my opinion, the equation should be written in the follow formulation:
    Is that right? What is the reason?
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

The right hand side of your equation becomes negligible compared to the second term on the left hand side so you drop it a a zeroth order approximation. The second derivative is the only term which can compensate the second term, hence you keep it.
  4. Jan 29, 2010 #3
    Thank you very much. I got it. Is there experiment that varify the landau level? Can you suggest a book to me about the zeroth order approximation?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook