• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Question about Learning Quantum Physics

  • Thread starter alirezaz
  • Start date
  • #1
3
0

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi quantum people :smile: ,

I am so interested in quantum physics. I want to study this subject on my own. I have taken these math classes:

Pre-Calculus
Calculus I
Calculus II
Calculus III
Differential Equations
Linear Algebra
Probability and Statistics

And these physics courses:

University Physics I
University Physics II

What kind of math and physics courses I need to have for better understanding of QM?

Any Suggestions would help.

Thanks.

:smile:
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
35,647
4,422
This is too obvious of a question not to be asked.

If you are planning on taking a QM class in college, shouldn't a description of that class also contain the prerequisites to take that class? This should tell you exactly the level you need.

Zz.
 
  • #3
lurflurf
Homework Helper
2,432
132
ZapperZ said:
This is too obvious of a question not to be asked.

If you are planning on taking a QM class in college, shouldn't a description of that class also contain the prerequisites to take that class? This should tell you exactly the level you need.

Zz.
The questioner clearly stated it was for self study.

That is a good background (at least for a start).
There with no doubt gaps in mathematics. A basic book of applied mathematics would be helpful.
 
  • #4
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
35,647
4,422
lurflurf said:
The questioner clearly stated it was for self study.

That is a good background (at least for a start).
There with no doubt gaps in mathematics. A basic book of applied mathematics would be helpful.
Oops. I missed that part.

Zz.
 
  • #5
11
0
pick up a book

Given your background I would get a book on Modern physics or
an intro book to quantum.

Quantum Mechanics by Ohanian
is a good intro.
A book that is applied to spectroscopy might also be a good start
because it applies QM directly to more tangible problems.

Look at Atoms and Molecules by Karplus and Porter
 
  • #6
3
0
dgiznya said:
Given your background I would get a book on Modern physics or
an intro book to quantum.

Quantum Mechanics by Ohanian
is a good intro.
A book that is applied to spectroscopy might also be a good start
because it applies QM directly to more tangible problems.

Look at Atoms and Molecules by Karplus and Porter

Thanks for help
 
  • #7
MalleusScientiarum
I would recommend getting a firmer background in some classical mechanics, such as Lagrange's equations and Hamilton's equations. You don't need a lot of depth, but it makes the intuition about the problems a little firmer.
 
  • #8
71
0
All you really need to know to do QM is linear algebra and calculus (basic QM that is)
 
  • #9
3
0
I was wondering if linear algebra was developed because of QM.
 
  • #10
71
0
That is a good question. I think linear algebra already existed at the end of the 19th century (therefore, before QM). The most important theorems had already been put forth by Jacobi, Calley etc.

I think Heisenberg periodicaly asked Jacobi for help
 
  • #11
Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
14,916
19
It is fairly common that the mathematical theory exists before the physicists want to use it... but after that point, the needs of physicists often become one of the many factors that contribute to the direction in which the theory is developed.
 
  • #12
you may want to start with the dirac method
 

Related Threads on Question about Learning Quantum Physics

Replies
4
Views
646
Replies
2
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
834
  • Last Post
Replies
20
Views
2K
Replies
22
Views
2K
Replies
3
Views
700
Replies
34
Views
15K
Replies
3
Views
6K
Replies
10
Views
2K
Top