1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Light

1. Mar 5, 2007 #1
    Suppose there was a spherical red light source and that was the only thing that existed. Would your eye see a red ball surrounded by blackness, or would your whole vision be uniformly red, or would you see all red but in decreasing intensity?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2007 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Have you ever looked at the stars at night...?

4. Mar 5, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

In case you haven't- When you look at the stars at night you see bright lights surrounded by blackness. (Works best far away from city lights- spend a night in the Utah desert some time- it's awesome!)

You would only see "all red but in decreasing intensity" if there were a cloud of something to reflect the light around the source.

5. Mar 5, 2007 #4
    Maybe my question is more biological but, wouldn't light from a sphere come out in every direction and thus hit every part of your eye, assuming there was absoluely no other source of light?

6. Mar 5, 2007 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yes, if your eye didn't have a lens on it to focus the light.

7. Mar 5, 2007 #6
    I had no notion of a lens (I just looked it up) and didn't understand why everything isn't a blur. Thanks.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook