Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Light

1. Mar 5, 2007 #1
    Suppose there was a spherical red light source and that was the only thing that existed. Would your eye see a red ball surrounded by blackness, or would your whole vision be uniformly red, or would you see all red but in decreasing intensity?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2007 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Have you ever looked at the stars at night...?

4. Mar 5, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In case you haven't- When you look at the stars at night you see bright lights surrounded by blackness. (Works best far away from city lights- spend a night in the Utah desert some time- it's awesome!)

You would only see "all red but in decreasing intensity" if there were a cloud of something to reflect the light around the source.

5. Mar 5, 2007 #4
    Maybe my question is more biological but, wouldn't light from a sphere come out in every direction and thus hit every part of your eye, assuming there was absoluely no other source of light?

6. Mar 5, 2007 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yes, if your eye didn't have a lens on it to focus the light.

7. Mar 5, 2007 #6
    I had no notion of a lens (I just looked it up) and didn't understand why everything isn't a blur. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?