What If Light Could Travel Slower?

• Thread starter burt reynolds
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, a photon with zero rest mass travelling at a speed less than the speed of light would have no energy and would not be considered light.
burt reynolds
so i just graduated high school taking only one physics class in 4 years. it was an academic level class and i only took it to fulfill a requirment, but I am glad i took it because it got me thinking. i don't plan to do anything with phusics in the fuutre, but i do have some questions that will probably seem elementary to most of you. here's the question: i know light travels 299,792,458 meters per second, but what if it could somehow travel slower to say 299,742,450 m/s? what would happen? would it still be light? has this ever been done? physics is hard.

Physics news on Phys.org
burt reynolds said:
so i just graduated high school taking only one physics class in 4 years. it was an academic level class and i only took it to fulfill a requirment, but I am glad i took it because it got me thinking. i don't plan to do anything with phusics in the fuutre, but i do have some questions that will probably seem elementary to most of you. here's the question: i know light travels 299,792,458 meters per second, but what if it could somehow travel slower to say 299,742,450 m/s? what would happen? would it still be light? has this ever been done? physics is hard.

Light travels slower that 3E8 m/s in all mediums except vaccuum.

ok, i got that number off some website, but does that answer my question then?

In water, for example, light travels at about 225,500,000 metres per second.

Can you still see light in water?

Photons still travel at c, it's just that they interact with electrons in material which averages out so that it seems as if light travels slower.

Forgive my ignorance, but how old does one have to be to "just graduate from High School?"

i see, so is that slowest speed light travels?

burt reynolds said:
i see, so is that slowest speed light travels?

People claim to have stopped light.

The misconception is that people say "Light travels at 300,000 km/second" and leave off "in a vacuum"

disregard that last post, i didnt see masudr's post. I'm 18.

how the f do you stop light, and how is it still light at that point?

burt reynolds said:

To answer your question, no it wouldn't be light. Light can only travel at one speed, so if it travels at another speed it's not light. If light did, somehow, slow down (I think -- and if I'm wrong someone will correct me) then it wouldn't be capable of existing.

I'm going to take a stab at working through some equations to try to prove this, because if I make a mistake, maybe I can learn something from this too. :redface: But I haven't had any formal training, so don't take this on blind faith.

The equation for the energy of a relativistic particle is [tex]E^2=m^2c^4+p^2c^2[/tex]. A photon doesn't have a rest mass (m = 0), so this reduces to [tex]E^2=p^2c^2[/tex] (Eq. 1).

The equation for relativistic momentum (p) is [tex]p=\frac{mv}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]. Since m is 0, the numerator (mv) will be 0, which at first may make it look like p will be 0, but if v = c, then the denominator will also be 0, and 0/0 is indeterminate, so as long as v=c, momentum doesn't have to be 0. If, however, v < c, then the denominator will become greater than 0, thus the momentum of a particle with zero rest mass moving at a speed less than the speed of light is zero. If a particle has both zero rest mass and zero momentum, then based on Eq. 1 it also has no energy. Something with no energy, no mass, and no momentum doesn't really seem to exist to me...

Last edited:

1. What is the current speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum.

2. How would the world be different if light traveled slower?

If light traveled slower, we would perceive time and space differently. The colors we see would change, and our understanding of the universe would be altered.

3. What are some possible consequences of light traveling slower?

Possible consequences of light traveling slower include changes in the behavior of particles and atoms, disruptions in communication and technology, and a different perception of the speed of events.

4. Is there any evidence or research supporting the idea of light traveling slower?

There is currently no scientific evidence or research supporting the idea of light traveling slower. The speed of light has been consistently measured and confirmed to be constant in a vacuum.

5. How would our understanding of physics and the laws of nature change if light traveled slower?

If light traveled slower, our understanding of physics and the laws of nature would drastically change. It would challenge many fundamental theories and principles, and require a complete reevaluation of our understanding of the universe.