Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about limits

1. Sep 1, 2012 #1
    suppose there is a function f(x), and it's limit as x goes to infinity is 0.

Is there a theorem that says it's derivative, f'(x), also approaches 0 as x goes to infinity?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Probably not, since it is not true. Consider

[tex]f(x)=\frac{\sin(x^2)}{x}[/tex]

What is true, that if [itex]f^\prime(x)[/itex] has a limit, then this limit must be 0.

4. Sep 1, 2012 #3

Bacle2

Science Advisor

If f is differentiable in (-oo,oo) , use the mean value theorem:

f(b)-f(a)=f'(c)(b-a) . Maybe you can partition [0,oo)into [0,1],[0,2],...,[n,n+1].

Then:

f(1)=f(0)+f'(co) ;f(2)=f(1)+f'(c1) ;.....f(n)=f(n-1)+f'(c_(n-1)).

Then you can find a closed form for f(n).

5. Sep 1, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

micromass's example shows this isn't going to work.

6. Sep 1, 2012 #5

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Of course I'm assuming f'(x) is defined as x-->oo , that is implied in my argument.

Basically, take [0,b] . Then

f(b)-f(0)=f'(c)(b)

If f' is defined everywhere and we let b-->oo , then the limit cannot be 0 unless f'(c) decreases to zero.

If the OP says "its derivative approaches 0 as x --> infinity" seems to me to assume that the derivative is defined as x-->oo.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  7. Sep 1, 2012 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You mean, that the limit is defined? If your argument relies on that then it needs to be stated.

8. Sep 1, 2012 #7

Bacle2

Science Advisor

From the OP:" it's derivative, f'(x), also approaches 0 as x goes to infinity? "

This looks to me like an assumption that f'(x) is defined as x-->oo

9. Sep 1, 2012 #8

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Maybe the OP can clarify the conditions of the problem to eliminate ambiguity?

10. Sep 1, 2012 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, that's what he's trying to prove. He didn't say "if f' approaches a limit, that limit is 0", so the most reasonable interpretation is that he wants to prove "f' approaches a limit, and that limit is 0".

11. Sep 2, 2012 #10

Bacle2

Science Advisor

It's not clear to me either way. f'(x) is said to exist without any qualification; I see

no reason to assume it exists in a specific subset of the real line only, nor reason

to assume otherwise. In your interpretation, why didn't the OP say something like

is f'(x) defined, and if so , what is its limit. He refers to f'(x) which states that f'(x)

exists. It may exist somewhere or everywhere.

The problem is posed sloppily ; I think out of basic manners, the OP should clarify.

12. Sep 2, 2012 #11

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

Then it does not follow that the limit ##\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}f'(x)## is defined. The statement "f' exists" is limited to ##x \in \mathbb{R}## because the domain of f is the real numbers and not the extended reals. What happens as ##x\rightarrow\infty## is considered a separate condition, and must explicitly be mentioned.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook