1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Linear dep/independence

1. May 7, 2005 #1
    linear independece

Hello. I have a problem here that i don't know how to start:

Determine whether this set of vectors is Linearly dependent or independent.
    {u, v, w} where 4u-2v+3w = 0

Any tips on how to begin proving whehter it's indep or dependent
    Last edited: May 7, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you recall the definition of linear dependence?
  4. May 7, 2005 #3
    I know that a set is lin dependent if:
    -a set contains a zero vector
    -Let V1,V2,V3...Vr be vectors in Rn. If r > n, then set is dependent
    -one of the vectors is a lin combo of remaining vectors in a set
  5. May 7, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The actual definition, as I recall, is this:

A set of vectors [itex]x_1, x_2, \ldots, x_n[/itex] is linearly dependent if and only if there exists scalars [itex]a_1, a_2, \ldots, a_n[/itex] (that are not all zero) such that [itex]a_1 x_1 + a_2 x_2 + \cdots + a_n x_n = 0[/itex].

Or, equivalently,

A set of vectors [itex]x_1, x_2, \ldots, x_n[/itex] is lienarly independent if [itex]a_1 x_1 + a_2 x_2 + \cdots + a_n x_n = 0[/itex] implies that each of the [itex]a_i[/itex] are zero.

(Not only is it the definition I recall, but one of the more useful characterizations of linear dependence!)

So the problem is fairly trivial. :smile: But it's still straightforward using the conditions you listed... for example, can you find a way to write u as a linear combination of v and w?
  6. May 7, 2005 #5
    Those are theorems derived from the definition... the definition will give you the answer directly.

edit: too late :D
  7. May 7, 2005 #6
    a set of vectors [tex]{v_1, v_2,...v_k}[/tex] is linearly independent <==> [tex]a_1 v_1 + a_2 v_2 + ... + a_k v_k = 0[/tex] implies all the [tex]a_i = 0[/tex]
    that's the most basic definition of linear independence i learned. i don't really know what the problem is though. wouldn't the dimension of u, v, w matter?
  8. May 7, 2005 #7
    I figured it out. Thank so much
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?