1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Question about magnetics

1. Jul 13, 2018 at 3:09 AM #1
    Hello
    I had an idea a while ago
    If we have an electric motor with 8 poles where all poles are the same (north or south) 360 degree
    And rotor is iron core which can have eddy current

What came in my mind is the rotor will be wightless but don't know what will happen

Perfect use of this idea is vehicle brakes with no contact

Another thing came in mind is why useing high current when we can use high voltage with littel amerage where we have a very amount of gauss and reducing heat on rotor

Looking forward to see your opinions,Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2018 at 5:51 AM #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Why would the rotor be weightless, it is iron. Iron is not weightless.

Yes, eddy currents are commonly used as a no-contact braking mechanism

4. Jul 13, 2018 at 6:39 AM #3
    Well thanks for your replay and sorry my question was not clear

In my thinking rotor would be wightless becase of the magnatic field will pull it 360 degree, am i right?

The part two is to make this breaks act as a motor and i saw the stepper motor, make the stator poles do steps simultaneously 8 poles (3 right 3 left) 2 off

Make motor pull insted of repelling with hight voltage low current

5. Jul 13, 2018 at 9:16 AM #4

anorlunda

I like your curiosity and inventiveness. However, to succeed in engineering, you have to do a lot more work than just throw out ideas. You need to do calculations to be sure things will work before presenting those ideas to others. In English we have a saying, "Ideas are a dime a dozen." Which means we can have more ideas than there are grains of sand in the Sahara Desert, but they are of little value without the extra effort to sort the good ones from the bad ones.

I urge you to continue your studies. If you study engineering, you will learn tools and methods you can use to evaluate ideas.

6. Jul 13, 2018 at 9:27 AM #5
    Thanks sir you answered my question
    I have everything i need , But work

I'm already planned to work on this project to come up with revolutionary invention sounds too big , But that makes me feel comfortable

But i made this topic because i had douts

7. Jul 13, 2018 at 11:58 PM #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

unfortunately is seems you don't want to listen to advice concerning your doubts :frown:

And without a strong physics and engineering background, do you really think you could come up with something that hasn't already been thought of ?
    You cant play the game if you don't know the rules :wink:

Dave

8. Jul 14, 2018 at 1:09 AM #7
    I'm a good listener, Need advice thats why i have douts about myself,

I used to educate myself everyday on the internet and seen alot of useful things online

Thanks Dave

9. Jul 14, 2018 at 1:13 AM #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Just for a moment, consider the magnets replaced by elastic bands. They are pulling 360 degrees in all directions (just like the magnets were).

Does that make the core weightless? No.

10. Jul 14, 2018 at 8:51 PM #9
    LOL, that not what i meant, for a moment you are right but what gives the wight is gravity which is made from the earth

I'm talking about a small gravity made from strong manatic field (electromagnets) about 200 tesla 200 volts 200,000,000,000 gauss

In the end i cant talk too much untill i prove it physically

11. Jul 14, 2018 at 9:47 PM #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

12. Jul 14, 2018 at 10:36 PM #11

Drakkith

I don't know what you're getting at, but it appears to be beyond the realm of current science and therefore doesn't belong here on PF. If you believe I am mistaken please contact myself or another mentor.

Thread locked.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook