1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Question about Math courses

1. Oct 15, 2005 #1
    What is the highest course there is in math? i like math, but im OK at it , and i just really want to see how far i can go in math courses.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2005 #2
    I don't think there is a "highest" course in math. You can spend years working on a phd in math, and there will still be more.
  4. Oct 15, 2005 #3
    what the hell, how did this thread get in the science books thread. lool, oops, sorry.
  5. Oct 17, 2005 #4
    I'll just list a couple courses for applied mathematics:

Calculus 1- Calculus 3
    Linear Algebra
    Differential Equations
    Probability and Statistics
    Partial Differential Equations
    Advanced Linear Algebra
    Real Analysis

It's not an exhaustive list but it hits the more common math courses for undergraduates. However, it's difficult to give an exact order of difficulty. All I can say about it is very much relative to my own experience and nothing more. Nevertheless, I think this list is fairly accurate in terms of difficulty: beginning with calculus I and ending with Real Analysis.

Real analysis is a course you take which focuses on the why and how of calculus more than the actual calculation. You need to have a good background on mathematical proofs and (of course) calculus.
  6. Oct 17, 2005 #5
    Thanks, I really appreciate it.
  7. Oct 17, 2005 #6
    that would be funny if there were a course called:

MAT7999: The Final Math Course

This is the final math course ever. No math after this. At all.

but sadly this does not exist. :tongue:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?