How do people write equations with special symbols in math forums?

• Thread starter Izzhov
  • Start date
In summary, people in math forums use Latex to write equations that cannot be typed on a standard keyboard. This is a simple and easy-to-learn tool that allows users to create equations with symbols such as the integral sign. Although Latex does not display in preview mode, it will appear once the post is submitted. Users can click on any Latex to see the source code and make changes accordingly. Overall, Latex is a convenient and efficient way to write complex equations in math forums.
Izzhov
Oftentimes in the math forums, I see people posting equations that can't be written with a standard keyboard (including the integral sign, etc.). How do they write these? Are they just pictures (made on MS Paint and inserted into the post) or is there some sort of shortcut key for making these symbols in the forums?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm... so if I made a LaTeX image in a post, and then preview the post, will it show the image?

Sadly, no. The Latex doesn't display in preview mode. But when you submit the post it will appear.

Izzhov said:
Hmm... so if I made a LaTeX image in a post, and then preview the post, will it show the image?

Mainly you post something in latex, then spend the next five minutes trying to work out why [tex] \int \sqrt \frac (pi r^2/x^2)[/tex] doesn't appear as [tex]\int \sqrt \frac \pi {r^2}{x^2}[/tex]

you can click on any latex to show the source code.

If you already know latex it's easy enough, and even if you don't it's really easy too learn. I pretty much picked it up overnight it's that simple.

When you edit latex, it's often wise to refresh after you've submitted, otherwise the changes don't normally show up.

Last edited:

What is a math forum?

A math forum is an online platform where people can discuss and ask questions about various mathematical topics. It is a community of mathematicians, students, and enthusiasts who share their knowledge and insights on different math-related subjects.

Can anyone join a math forum?

Yes, most math forums are open to anyone who has an interest in math. Some forums may require you to create an account before participating in discussions, while others allow you to join as a guest.

What types of questions can I ask on a math forum?

You can ask any question related to math, including basic concepts, problem-solving strategies, and advanced topics. Some forums may have specific guidelines on what type of questions are allowed, so it is best to check the forum rules before posting.

How do I get help with a math problem on a forum?

When asking for help with a math problem on a forum, it is helpful to provide as much information as possible, such as the specific question or concept you are struggling with, any relevant equations or formulas, and your attempted solution. This will make it easier for others to understand and assist you.

Are math forums reliable sources of information?

Math forums are a great place to get help and insights from others, but it is important to keep in mind that not all information on the forums may be accurate. It is always a good idea to double-check any information or solutions provided by others and do your own research to ensure the accuracy of the information.