Solving Linear Equations: Understanding Matrices and Equality"

• Thread starter Ry122
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the eigenvalue for a matrix [A B B D] in a system of linear equations represented by Ax = b. The eigenvalue can be found by solving the equation |A - λI| = 0, where A is the matrix, λ is the eigenvalue, and I is the identity matrix. This method can be applied to any system where the matrices are in the format Ax = Bx to find the unknown value.
Ry122
in this system of matrices, ignoring the N M matrix, is matrix [A B B D] equal to [C] given that the matrices represent a system of linear equations in the form Ax = b?

I'm just wanting to know whether it's like algebra, where you can divide both sides by the same thing and keep equality.

[PLAIN]http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/7428/matrw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds to me it's something to do with eigenvalue thingy.

[C] might be a real value or scalar and [A B B D] is a matrix with 4 elements.

For example, [C], or simply C = 4, and [A B B D] = [4 0 0 4]. Also, [e k] = [1 2].

So, [C][e k] = 4 [1 2] = [4 8]
Also, [A B B D] [e k] = [4 8]

So, [C][e k] = [A B B D] [e k] = [4 8]

I have the values for the [A B B D] matrix, but not for anything else, and I'm expected to find [C].

How would I do that?

Ry122 said:
I have the values for the [A B B D] matrix, but not for anything else, and I'm expected to find [C].

How would I do that?

If your C is a real number, then you can find the value, or we call it the eigenvalue by solving
[tex]\left|A-\lambda I\right|=0[/tex], where A is the matrix [A B B D], [tex]\lambda[/tex] is the eigenvalue, or C in this case, and I is identity matrix. And |.| is the determinant.

Last edited:
Is the eigenvalue in that equation you've given, the eigenvalue of matrix A?

Yes. that's correct. In particular, since your A is a 2x2 matrix, you will find 1 (repeated), or at most 2 eigenvalues.

Why is it that the eigenvalue needs to be calculated in this situation anyway?
Is it true for any system where the matrices are in the format
Ax=Bx
that the equation you gave above needs to be applied to find the unknown?

Ry122 said:
Why is it that the eigenvalue needs to be calculated in this situation anyway?
Is it true for any system where the matrices are in the format
Ax=Bx
that the equation you gave above needs to be applied to find the unknown?

The equation [tex]\left|A-\lambda I\right|=0[/tex] can actually be derived from [tex]Ax=Bx[/tex], where [tex]A[/tex] is a matrix, [tex]x[/tex] is column matrix and [tex]B[/tex] is a scalar value.

You see, from [tex]Ax=Bx[/tex], you will get [tex]Ax-Bx=0[/tex]. Factor out the [tex]x[/tex] ill give you [tex]x\left(A-BI\right)=0[/tex].

For the rest of the explanation, you can refer this article.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characteristic_polynomial

1. What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is an algebraic equation that represents a straight line when graphed. It contains variables, constants, and mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. The goal in solving a linear equation is to isolate the variable on one side of the equation, with all constants on the other side.

2. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or variables arranged in rows and columns. It is typically represented by a capital letter, such as A, and is used to organize and solve systems of linear equations. Matrices are an important tool in understanding and solving linear equations, particularly when dealing with multiple variables.

3. How are matrices used to solve linear equations?

Matrices can be used to represent a system of linear equations in a compact and organized manner. By using various matrix operations, such as row operations and Gaussian elimination, we can manipulate the matrix to solve for the variables in the system of equations. This allows us to find the solution(s) to the linear equations without having to solve them individually.

4. What is the role of equality in solving linear equations?

Equality is a fundamental concept in solving linear equations. In order to solve an equation, we must maintain equality on both sides of the equation. This means that any operation we perform on one side of the equation must also be performed on the other side. By doing so, we can ensure that the solution we find is true for both sides of the equation, thus satisfying the principle of equality.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving linear equations using matrices?

Matrices and linear equations have a wide range of applications in fields such as engineering, economics, and computer science. They can be used to model and solve problems involving systems of equations, optimization, and data analysis. For example, in engineering, matrices are used to design and optimize structures, while in economics, they can be used to analyze supply and demand equations. In computer science, matrices are used in image processing, machine learning, and cryptography.