Maximizing Angular Velocity to Prevent Slipping in a Rotating Cylinder Ride

• Thread starter lemaitre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the person lying down on the rotating cylinder wall experiences a force which is normal to the wall and parallel to the wall. The normal force is given by the equation N = mg\cos\theta + m\omega^{2}R, where mg is the mass of the person and m is the angular velocity of the cylinder. If the angular velocity is too high, the person will slide along the wall. The minimum angular velocity needed to keep the person in contact with the wall is given by the equation \sqrt{\frac{-g\cos\theta}{R}}.
lemaitre
A fairground ride takes the form of a hollow, cylinder of radius [itex]R[/itex] rotating about its axis. People lie down cylinder wall when it is stationary. The rotation is then started, and once the cylinder has reached its operating angular velocity [itex]\omega[/itex], its axis, and the people, are gradually rotated, as shown in the figure below.

1H3xO.jpg

Figure above shows a view along the axis in a horizontal direction showing the heads and shoulders of three people, who face inwards. Thus the person at the top is facing vertically downwards at the moment shown.

A person called Alice who has mass [itex]m[/itex], is indicated by [itex]A[/itex] in the figure at the moment when she subtends angle [itex]\theta[/itex] relative to the downwards vertical direction, as seen from the cylinder’s axis. Assuming that Alice does not slide relative to the cylinder wall, and neglecting her size compared to the radius [itex]R[/itex].

1. Show that the component of force upon Alice from the cylinder wall normal to its surface is given by [itex]N = mg\cos\theta +m\omega^{2}R[/itex].

Answer

The acceleration is towards the center of the cylinder, hence

[itex]\sum{F}=ma \Rightarrow N - mg\cos\theta = ma \Rightarrow N = mg\cos\theta + m\omega^{2}R.[/itex]

2. Show that the component of force upon Alice from the cylinder wall parallel to its surface is given by [itex]F = mg\sin\theta[/itex].

Answer

This follows from the diagram.

3. Derive an expression for the minimum [itex]\omega[/itex] required to ensure that Alice remains in contact with the cylinder wall at all times.

4. Show that in order for Alice to avoid sliding along the cylinder wall, [itex]\omega^{2} \geq \frac{g\sin\theta}{\mu_{S}R} - \frac{g\cos\theta}{R}[/itex], where [itex]\mu_{S}[/itex] is the coefficient of static friction between her and the wall.

Answer

[itex]f_{S} \leq\mu_{S}N \Rightarrow mg\sin\theta \leq \mu_{S}(mg\cos\theta +m\omega^{2}R).[/itex] Rearranging, we get [itex]\omega^{2} \geq \frac{g\sin\theta}{\mu_{S}R} - \frac{g\cos\theta}{R}.[/itex]

5. Use the result of question 4 to show that Alice will not slip for any [itex]\theta[/itex] if [itex]\omega^{2} \geq \frac{g}{R}\sqrt{1 + \frac{1}{\mu_{S}^{2}}}[/itex].Question and Attempt

I would like to know if the working for the questions above that I have answered are correct. I'm not sure what concept underlies question 3. For question 5, I put [itex]\theta = \pi[/itex], the angle that subtends when she is at the top but that doesn't work.

I'm looking for hints to be able to answer questions 3 and 5. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Pf lemaitre!

For question 3: the normal force is, by definition, the contact force between two surfaces. So, if Alice is no longer in contact with the cylinder wall, it must be true that N = 0. That's the concept.

EDIT: this thread belongs in intro physics. Moved.

cepheid said:
Welcome to Pf lemaitre!

For question 3: the normal force is, by definition, the contact force between two surfaces. So, if Alice is no longer in contact with the cylinder wall, it must be true that N = 0. That's the concept.

EDIT: this thread belongs in intro physics. Moved.

Thank you cepheid.

So for Alice to remain in contact with the cylinder wall, [itex]N \gt 0[/itex].

[itex]N = mg\cos\theta + m\omega^{2}R[/itex], so [itex]N \gt 0 \Rightarrow mg\cos\theta + m\omega^{2}R \gt 0 \Rightarrow \omega \gt \sqrt{\frac{-g\cos\theta}{R}}[/itex]. Hence the minimum [itex]\omega[/itex] is [itex]\sqrt{\frac{-g\cos\theta}{R}}[/itex].

Is this correct?

lemaitre said:
Hence the minimum [itex]\omega[/itex] is [itex]\sqrt{\frac{-g\cos\theta}{R}}[/itex].

Is this correct?
For part 5, it says 'for any theta', so you need an answer independent of theta.
But there's an error in part 4. Check your algebra. I think you'll find there's a sign wrong in the given answer. As it happens, it does not affect part 5.

haruspex said:
For part 5, it says 'for any theta', so you need an answer independent of theta.
But there's an error in part 4. Check your algebra. I think you'll find there's a sign wrong in the given answer. As it happens, it does not affect part 5.

Hi haruspex. Thank you for pointing that out. I have corrected it. Did I do Question 3 correctly?

Also, I'd appreciate it if you give me more hint for Question 5. Does it have anything to do with conservation of energy?

By the way, I should have mentioned, this is not a homework question. I'm working on a past exam paper for an upcoming exam.

lemaitre said:
I'd appreciate it if you give me more hint for Question 5.
You need an ω such that ##\omega^2 ≥ \frac{-g\cos\theta}{R}## for all θ. Clearly that's true whenever cos θ is positive. What is the max value that ω2 has to beat?

1. What is mechanics?

Mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects and the forces that act upon them. It helps us understand how objects move and interact with each other.

2. What are the different types of mechanics?

There are three main types of mechanics: classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics. Classical mechanics deals with the motion of macroscopic objects, quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of subatomic particles, and statistical mechanics deals with the behavior of large groups of particles.

3. What is Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

4. What is the difference between statics and dynamics?

Statics is the branch of mechanics that deals with the equilibrium of objects at rest, while dynamics deals with the motion of objects under the influence of forces. In other words, statics focuses on objects that are not moving, while dynamics focuses on objects that are moving or accelerating.

5. How is mechanics applied in the real world?

Mechanics is applied in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and transportation. For example, understanding mechanics is crucial in designing bridges and buildings that can withstand forces such as wind and earthquakes, and in designing cars and airplanes that can move efficiently and safely.