Understanding Momentum Conservation in a Closed System: A Question Explained

• Thread starter pete5383
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, when someone jumps, the Earth recoils a very small amount. But as the person moves away from the Earth, there is a gravitational force between them and the Earth that slows and eventually reverses the motion of the Earth and of the person. They then move toward each other and collide, thereby providing an impulse to each sufficient to stop further motion so that each has 0 momentum.
pete5383
Ok, so I was pondering something as I lie in bed...so in a system with no outside forces, momentum has to be conserved, correct? So let's say me and the Earth are the system, and initially at rest, so we have zero momentum. I jump up in the air, giving myself momentum in the positive y direction, while the Earth has momentum equal to mine in the negative y direction (going down, even though it's very very slight). No, once I reach the peak of my jump, I start coming down, that is, the sign of my momentum has changed. Does this mean that at that moment the Earth starts to move back towards me to maintain a net momentum of zero? Also, it seems to me when I land I will be pushing the Earth down even more, making the net momentum afterwards non-zero. Can anyone explain to me where my thinking is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
pete5383 said:
Ok, so I was pondering something as I lie in bed...so in a system with no outside forces, momentum has to be conserved, correct? So let's say me and the Earth are the system, and initially at rest, so we have zero momentum. I jump up in the air, giving myself momentum in the positive y direction, while the Earth has momentum equal to mine in the negative y direction (going down, even though it's very very slight). No, once I reach the peak of my jump, I start coming down, that is, the sign of my momentum has changed. Does this mean that at that moment the Earth starts to move back towards me to maintain a net momentum of zero?
Yes
Also, it seems to me when I land I will be pushing the Earth down even more, making the net momentum afterwards non-zero. Can anyone explain to me where my thinking is wrong?
When you jump up, the Earth recoils a very small amount. But as you move away from the earth, there is a gravitational force between you and the Earth that slows and eventually reverses the motion of the Earth and of you. You and the Earth then move toward each other and collide, thereby providing an impulse to each sufficient to stop further motion so that each has 0 momentum. I am not sure why you think that when this collision occurs, you will be pushing the Earth even more than when you jumped. You necessarily have the same speed when you left the Earth as when you collided with it.

AM

When pete5382 said "pushing the Earth down even more" he didn't mean that the force landing on the Earth was greater than that jumping. He meant that there was a force, downward) when he jumped and then the same force(downward) again when he landed (so he was applying "even more" force). Of course, as you say, he is missing the pull of gravity. The reason he stops going up and starts coming down is because the force of gravity is pulling him toward the earth. At the same time, the mass of his body is pulling the Earth toward him. It's very small of course, but then the push he gives the Earth when he jumps is very small. Anyway, the two downward pushes he gives the Earth when he jumps and when he lands are exactly offset by the gravitational force his mass applies to the earth.

Ahhhhhh, I was forgetting about the gravitational attraction between us...duh...hehe. That makes sense to me now. That's what I get for posting at 2 in the morning. But thank you all very much!

1. What is momentum conservation in a closed system?

Momentum conservation in a closed system refers to the principle that the total momentum of a system remains constant, even if there are internal forces acting on the system. This means that the sum of the momenta of all the objects within the system will remain the same, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.

2. Why is momentum conservation important?

Momentum conservation is important because it is a fundamental principle of physics that helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in a closed system. It also allows us to make accurate calculations and predictions about the motion of objects in a closed system, without needing to consider all of the individual forces acting on each object.

3. How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

Momentum is conserved in a closed system because of Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when two objects interact within a closed system, the total momentum before the interaction is equal to the total momentum after the interaction, even if the individual momenta of the objects change.

4. Can momentum be lost in a closed system?

No, momentum cannot be lost in a closed system. This is because of the principle of momentum conservation, which states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that any changes in the momenta of individual objects within the system must be balanced by changes in the momenta of other objects, so the total momentum remains the same.

5. How is momentum conservation related to the law of inertia?

Momentum conservation is related to the law of inertia because both principles are based on the idea that objects will continue in their current state of motion unless acted upon by an external force. Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its motion, while momentum conservation states that the total momentum of a system will remain constant unless acted upon by external forces. Both of these principles help us understand the behavior of objects in a closed system.