Solving for Time and Velocity of a Ball Rolling Off a Table – Motion Question

• Thread starter kevinf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the problem involves a ball rolling off a 1.00 m high tabletop and striking the floor 1.64 m away. We are asked to find the time the ball was in the air and its speed at the instant it left the table, neglecting air resistance. Using the equations x-x0 = V0xT + .5(a)t^2 and y-y0 = V0yT - .5(g)t^2, we can solve for the unknowns. The initial speed in the y direction is 0, since the ball rolls off horizontally. By substituting this value and solving the equations, we can find the time and speed of the ball.
kevinf

Homework Statement

A ball rolls horizontally off the edge of a tabletop that is 1.00 m high. It strikes the floor at a point 1.64 m horizontally away from the table edge. (Neglect air resistance.). How long was the ball in the air and what speed was it at the instant it left the table.

Homework Equations

x-x0 = V0xT + .5(a)t^2

y-y0 = V0yT - .5(g)t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i am having trouble figuring out anything with this little information. i have tried to use the equations that i provided but it was missing velocity. any other way that i can do that i may have missed?

Physics news on Phys.org
kevinf said:

Homework Statement

A ball rolls horizontally off the edge of a tabletop that is 1.00 m high. It strikes the floor at a point 1.64 m horizontally away from the table edge. (Neglect air resistance.). How long was the ball in the air and what speed was it at the instant it left the table.

Homework Equations

x-x0 = V0xT + .5(a)t^2

y-y0 = V0yT - .5(g)t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i am having trouble figuring out anything with this little information. i have tried to use the equations that i provided but it was missing velocity. any other way that i can do that i may have missed?
Your equations are correct. What is the value of V0y? What is the value of 'a' in the x direction?

yeah but i don't know how to find V0y with that information

kevinf said:
yeah but i don't know how to find V0y with that information
it's given that the ball rolls off the table horizontally. So what is its initial speed in the y direction if it initially is moving horizontally in the x direction only?

thanks i got the answer.

What is motion?

Motion is the change in position or location of an object over time.

What causes motion?

Motion is caused by forces acting on an object, such as gravity, friction, or applied force.

How is motion measured?

Motion can be measured using various units, including distance, time, and velocity. The most common unit for measuring motion is meters per second (m/s).

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is the measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction.

What is the relationship between motion and energy?

Motion and energy are closely related. Any moving object possesses kinetic energy, which is the energy an object has due to its motion. The amount of kinetic energy an object has is determined by its mass and velocity.