1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Newton Scooter

1. Feb 16, 2009 #1
    I am trying to construct a Newton Scooter (one powered by Newton's Third Law) using a spring. Basically, I am supposed to make the scooter travel 1.5 meters. I've tried using a spring from a retractable pen, but the vehicle I constructed seems to be going nowhere. It seems as though too much of the spring's energy is being dissipated.

I know that the force exerted by a spring depends on the Spring Constant (k) and the distance compressed (x).

Thus, I just wanted to ask, should I get a stiffer string for my purpose or a easily compressible one? Do stiffer-springs have greater spring constant values? Is there a way I can efficiently transfer all of the Spring's potential energy into kinetic energy for the vehicle?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2009 #2
    Try googling the great egg race.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook