Understanding the Relationship Between Force, Acceleration, and Momentum

In summary: Me too. I just wanted to clarify because I'm talking to another guy in another thread who seemed to think Ft = p, as opposed to Δp. Seeing it twice made me wonder if it was somehow acceptable in some way shape or form I wasn't aware of. Thanks.
-Physician
We know that
##F=ma## or ##F=ma=m \frac{v}{t}##, so the acceleration is rate of slowing or speeding velocity, then does force changes the momentum ##p=mv## or ##p=Ft##.

I'm waiting an answer, thanks!:)

Physics news on Phys.org
-Physician said:
We know that
##F=ma## or ##F=ma=m \frac{v}{t}##, so the acceleration is rate of slowing or speeding velocity, then does force changes the momentum ##p=mv## or ##p=Ft##.

I'm waiting an answer, thanks!:)
What exactly is your question? Yes, a net force on a body does change its momentum.

Uhm, the answer was the answer that i requested, thanks!

Doc Al said:
Yes, a net force on a body does change its momentum.
Doc Al, the correct expression of this would be FΔt = Δp, no? Ft = p strikes me as imprecise, confusing Δp with p, which is mv. In other words, we use FT or FΔt to find change in momentum, and mv to find momentum. Correct?

i have another question , why we couldn't gather first law from second law ? and does 2nd law have any prove ?

zoobyshoe said:
Doc Al, the correct expression of this would be FΔt = Δp, no? Ft = p strikes me as imprecise, confusing Δp with p, which is mv. In other words, we use FT or FΔt to find change in momentum, and mv to find momentum. Correct?
Yes, I already pointed that out yesterday:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=576484

zoobyshoe said:
Right. Sure, his statements were inaccurate. But first I wanted to find out what his question was, as it wasn't clear to me just what he was trying to do.

Doc Al said:
Right. Sure, his statements were inaccurate. But first I wanted to find out what his question was, as it wasn't clear to me just what he was trying to do.
Me either. I just wanted to clarify because I'm talking to another guy in another thread who seemed to think Ft = p, as opposed to Δp. Seeing it twice made me wonder if it was somehow acceptable in some way shape or form I wasn't aware of. Thanks.

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three physical laws that describe the behavior of objects in motion. They are the law of inertia, the law of acceleration, and the law of action and reaction.

2. What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

3. What is the second law of motion?

The second law of motion, also known as the law of acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be mathematically represented by the equation F=ma.

4. Can Newton's laws of motion be applied to all objects?

Yes, Newton's laws of motion can be applied to all objects, regardless of their size, shape, or composition. However, they are most accurate for objects moving at speeds significantly slower than the speed of light.

5. How did Newton's laws of motion contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Newton's laws of motion were a major breakthrough in our understanding of the physical world and have been fundamental principles in the development of modern physics. They have allowed us to accurately predict and explain the behavior of objects in motion, from the motion of planets to the movement of subatomic particles.