Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Newton's laws

1. Feb 11, 2012 #1
    We know that
    ##F=ma## or ##F=ma=m \frac{v}{t}##, so the acceleration is rate of slowing or speeding velocity, then does force changes the momentum ##p=mv## or ##p=Ft##.

I'm waiting an answer, thanks!:)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What exactly is your question? Yes, a net force on a body does change its momentum.

4. Feb 11, 2012 #3
    Uhm, the answer was the answer that i requested, thanks!

5. Feb 12, 2012 #4
    Doc Al, the correct expression of this would be FΔt = Δp, no? Ft = p strikes me as imprecise, confusing Δp with p, which is mv. In other words, we use FT or FΔt to find change in momentum, and mv to find momentum. Correct?

6. Feb 12, 2012 #5
    i have another question , why we couldn't gather first law from second law ? and does 2nd law have any prove ?

7. Feb 12, 2012 #6
    Yes, I already pointed that out yesterday:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=576484

8. Feb 12, 2012 #7

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Right. Sure, his statements were inaccurate. But first I wanted to find out what his question was, as it wasn't clear to me just what he was trying to do.

9. Feb 12, 2012 #8
    Me either. I just wanted to clarify because I'm talking to another guy in another thread who seemed to think Ft = p, as opposed to Δp. Seeing it twice made me wonder if it was somehow acceptable in some way shape or form I wasn't aware of. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook