Can a Finite Subcover of (0,1) Be Constructed with Only Two Open Sets?

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was discussing the concept of a finite subcover and how it relates to the open interval (0,1). While there do exist finite subcovers for (0,1), there are open covers that contain no finite subcover. This means that (0,1) is not compact.
cragar

Homework Statement

If we have the open interval (0,1) my book says that there is no finite sub cover.

Homework Equations

[itex] A \subseteq \mathbb{R} [/itex] An open cover for A is a possibly infinite collection of open sets whose union contains the set.

The Attempt at a Solution

By why can't my subcover be [itex] (0,1/2) \bigcup (1/4,1) [/itex]
those are 2 open sets whose union is (0,1) and I have 2 sets.
Unless when they say finite sub cover they are talking about elements in the set.
I am probably missing something in the definition. Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps your book is saying that there exists a cover with no finite subcovers? That statement would be true, and it would follow that the interval (0,1) is not compact.

cragar said:

Homework Statement

If we have the open interval (0,1) my book says that there is no finite sub cover.
No, it doesn't.

It says that there exist open covers which contain no finite sub cover.

Homework Equations

[itex] A \subseteq \mathbb{R} [/itex] An open cover for A is a possibly infinite collection of open sets whose union contains the set.

The Attempt at a Solution

By why can't my subcover be [itex] (0,1/2) \bigcup (1/4,1) [/itex]
those are 2 open sets whose union is (0,1) and I have 2 sets.
Even simpler is the single open set (0, 1) itself.

However, consider the infinite collection of open sets {1/n, 1} where n can be any integer larger than 1. If x is in (0, 1) it is positive and so 1/x is a positive number. There exist an integer N> 1/x which gives x> 1/N. x is contained in (1/N, 1) for that N so this is an open cover of (0, 1). But there is no finite number of those sets which contain all of (0, 1).

Unless when they say finite sub cover they are talking about elements in the set.
I am probably missing something in the definition. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do we mean by finite sub cover. DO our sets have to be indexed by the natural numbers?
Actually is it just saying that there can be an open cover that has no finite sub cover.
Not necessarily that all open covers are infinite.

Last edited:
Your open sets can be indexed by whatever collection of indices you choose - it is common to have a collection of open sets indexed by the points in your topological space when using compactness

cragar said:
What do we mean by finite sub cover.
First, do you understand what "cover" means? An collection of sets "covers" set A if every member of A is in one of those sets. (Imagine set A as part of a drawing on the floor. You drop pieces of paper on top of it. A is "covered" if every point in A is under at least one of those papers.) An open cover for set A is, of course, a collection of open sets that "covers" A.

DO our sets have to be indexed by the natural numbers?
In fact, strictly speaking they don't have to be indexed at all. Of course, if there is a finite subcover, you could index that subcover with a finite set of natural numbers.

Actually is it just saying that there can be an open cover that has no finite sub cover.
Not necessarily that all open covers are infinite.
Yes, that is what both clamtrox and I said.

ok thanks for all of your posts, it makes more sense now.

cragar said:

Of course there's a finite subcover. {(0,1)} is one such. {0,3/4), (1/4, 1)} is another.

What your book probably says is that there exists an open cover that contains no finite subcover. One such would be (0, n/(n+1)) for n = 1, 2, 3, ... Therefore (0,1) is not compact.

But of course it does have a finite subcover, lots of them in fact.

But it's NOT true that every open cover of (0,1) contains a finite subcover. So it's not compact.

What is an open cover?

An open cover is a collection of open sets that cover a given space. In other words, every point in the space is contained in at least one of the open sets in the cover.

Why is the concept of open cover important in mathematics?

The concept of open cover is important in mathematics because it allows us to define and study topological spaces. It is also used in many mathematical proofs and constructions, particularly in the field of topology.

What is the difference between an open cover and a closed cover?

An open cover is a collection of open sets, while a closed cover is a collection of closed sets. The main difference is that in an open cover, the sets do not necessarily contain their boundary points, while in a closed cover, the sets must contain all their boundary points.

How is the concept of open cover related to the notion of compactness?

An open cover is related to the notion of compactness in that a topological space is said to be compact if every open cover has a finite subcover. In other words, there exists a finite number of open sets in the cover that still cover the entire space.

Can an open cover have an infinite number of open sets?

Yes, an open cover can have an infinite number of open sets. In fact, many important examples in mathematics, such as the real numbers, have open covers with infinitely many open sets.