1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about orbitals?

1. Dec 30, 2008 #1
    hi, i have a little question about orbitals

Say that element carbon, with s, and p orbitals, does
    the orbital adds up to each other, meaning is 1s orbital
    inside the 2s and 2p orbitals?

If my assumption is true then how does hybrid orbitals work?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2008 #2
    Yes but when you get to the 3d orbitals the electrons are inside the 4s subshell even though the 4s subshell is already filled.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  4. Dec 30, 2008 #3
    Hybrid orbitals work only when bonds are made, they only require the s and p orbitals since the d orbitals are inside of both. The sp3 hybrid orbital means there s orbital has combined with one of the p orbitals to create 3 sp orbitals and one p orbital. This makes way for three sigma bonds and a pi bond.

5. Dec 30, 2008 #4
    thanks for the answer

here is another small question

considering BeF(2) how is there two sp hybrid orbitals

6. Dec 31, 2008 #5
    Since the 2s orbital of the Be is all filled up and it is bonding to the 2p3 orbital in the F two sp hybrid orbitals are created to allow the bond to happen. These orbitals are created in place of the 2s and 2p orbitals to allow the bond to occur bases on the pauli excursion principle. only one p orbital would be filled due to the bond, therefore two sp2 orbitals are created.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  7. Dec 31, 2008 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Adds up is not the best selection of words... They overlap.

8. Dec 31, 2008 #7

Borek

Not true - there are hybrid orbitals like dsp3.

Number of hybrid orbitals is always identical to the number of orbitals you combine, so you can't get 4 orbitals from 2 orbitals.

I am afraid parts that I have deleted were not better than assumption that Pauli went on a trip to came to the EXCLUSION principle.

No such thing as 2p3 oribital, no such configuration as 2p3 in F atom.

9. Dec 31, 2008 #8

i am a little confuse

so basically s orbital is smaller than p orbitals and overlaps with the two lobes of the

p oribital?

10. Dec 31, 2008 #9

Borek

You can put it this way.

11. Jan 1, 2009 #10
    Thanks for the answers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?