Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about PE and KE?

1. Nov 23, 2012 #1
    Why is it the difference in gravitational potential energy is given by U grav 1 - U grav 2 whereas for the same system, delta KE is given by k2 - k1???

Kindly Clarify! Thanks a LOT!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You're probably thinking of a situation where the total mechanical energy is conserved, thus:
    ΔE = ΔKE + ΔU = 0

Therefore: ΔU = - ΔKE

4. Nov 23, 2012 #3
    I know that.. I meant about the intuition ... WHy is it U 1 - U2 and not the opposite

5. Nov 23, 2012 #4
    Are you talking about this in the context of mechanics relating to work?

6. Nov 23, 2012 #5

Doc Al

I'm not sure I understand the issue. One goes up while the other goes down.

Just a note about what Δ means: When going from 1 to 2, ΔU = U2-U1 and ΔKE = KE2 - KE1

7. Nov 23, 2012 #6
    I still don't get the point!

8. Nov 23, 2012 #7

Doc Al

How about giving a specific example that illustrates your question.

9. Nov 23, 2012 #8
    I think the simplest case is to look at work due to gravity:
    When, let's say you throw in a rock upwards, we know conceptually that the work done is negative since the weight is directed downwards and the displacement is upwards, also, the gravitational potential energy is given by U = mgh (m = mass, g = acceleration due to gravity, h=height (relative to some reference)). The equation W=U1-U2 is consistent with this, when we throw a rock upwards, U2>U1 and hence W<0 (negative), in the other case when we drop a rock, U2<U1 and hence W>0 (positive). Thus the equation is consistent with our idea of work.

I think, this would help if you want a more intuitive approach on this.

10. Nov 23, 2012 #9

jtbell

This is incorrect. By definition, ΔU = U2 - U1. "Δ" means "final minus initial".

For an object falling freely under the influence of gravity, U2 < U1 because h2 < h1, therefore ΔU is negative. On the other hand, KE2 > KE1 because v increases as the object falls, therefore ΔKE is positive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook