What is the correct phrasing for matrix Bellman nonhomogeneous equations?

• I
  • Thread starter nomadreid
  • Start date
In summary, the author is proof-reading a paper with a sentence that mentions a "universal method" for solving the matrix Bellman nonhomogeneous equations. The author asked for clarification and the original phrasing was deemed awkward and ambiguous. After further analysis, it was determined that there are both "Bellman non-homogeneous equations" and "matrix equations" and it is unclear if the author meant to use published works by Bellman to solve matrices or if he was referring to a specific class of non-homogeneous equations. The proof-reader is providing this analysis as a service to the author and it is up to the author to decide how to use this information.
nomadreid
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Is "the matrix Bellman nonhomogeneous equations" correct phrasing?
A paper that I am proof-reading contains this sentence.
"A universal method for solving the matrix Bellman nonhomogeneous equations was suggested in [82]."
This seemed a bit of an odd phrasing, so I asked the author to explain. He replied,
"I used the matrix Bellman nonhomogeneous equations, since these equations are matrix equations ."
Is this phrasing then correct? Or would "the Bellman nonhomogeneous matrix equations" be better? Or some third variant?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are "Bellman non-homogeneous equations" and there are "matrix equations".
But then there is the word "the"...
At best this is awkwardly worded.

There are two problems:

1) Fill me in on this: There are "Bellman differential equations". Are there non-homogeneous versions of them as well? Or has Bellman specifically considered a class of non-homogeneous equations which are referred to as the "Bellman non-homogeneous equations". If the "non-homogeneous" part is not something specifically addressed in Bellman's published works, then you would be working with "a non-homogeneous Bellman equation".

2) Then, given that "non-homogeneous" is part of the published work, we can ask the same thing about "matrix". What "the matrix Bellman non-homogeneous equations" implies is that published works by Bellman have been used in this paper to solve or otherwise work with matrices.

If that is what the author meant, I would say he is being correct but obscure. And it should be rephrased.
If that is not that he meant, then, at best, his statement is ambiguous to the point of being meaningless.

Last edited:
Likes nomadreid and berkeman
Thanks for the analysis, .Scott. Since this is not my field, I am not completely sure what the author meant; I asked him, and his answer was insufficient, so I will go with your "correct but obscure". I shall suggest that he rephrase it without suggesting a specific alternative, and let him deal with it, since I have no desire to find and pore over the corresponding references for his paper.

I would pass on the entire analysis.
Without it, the author may not fully understand what the problem is.
In general, when someone has made an thoughtful but ambiguous statement, they are wholly unaware of the problem. It all makes perfect sense to them - and it seems to them that the rest of the world should have no problem with it at all.

Is this review a gate - or just a service to the author?

Thanks, .Scott. If I pass on your analysis, the author may ask the nature of the source. Shall I say that it is from a software engineer? The proof-reading is a paid service to the author. What is a gate in this context?

A gate would be a review (or other activity) that must be passed before the document can be used for its main purpose. If there's one thing that SW engineers get to do more than code - it's review.

My analysis deals with the semantics. If you give the author the analysis, he can decide for himself whether he wants to change it. Since this is not a gate, it's entirely up to him how he uses your advice.

To be clear, the questions I posed were to the subject matter expert (the author), not you. And since this is not a gate, the only thing that you need to understand is my analysis - so you are prepared to explain it to the author. You can let the author decide whether he is being "correct and obscure" or "ambiguous to the point of meaningless". After all, he knows exactly what parts of what published materials he is referring to.

What is a matrix Bellman nonhomogeneous equation?

A matrix Bellman nonhomogeneous equation is a mathematical equation used in dynamic programming to describe the optimal value function for a given problem. It is used to determine the optimal policy for a system over a series of time steps.

What is the difference between a homogeneous and nonhomogeneous equation?

A homogeneous equation is one where all the variables have the same degree, meaning they are all raised to the same power. In a nonhomogeneous equation, the degree of the variables may vary. In the context of matrix Bellman equations, a homogeneous equation would only include state variables, while a nonhomogeneous equation would also include action variables.

What is the correct phrasing for a matrix Bellman nonhomogeneous equation?

The correct phrasing for a matrix Bellman nonhomogeneous equation is typically in the form of a Bellman equation, where the optimal value function is expressed as a function of the current state and the optimal value function for the next state.

How is a matrix Bellman nonhomogeneous equation used in dynamic programming?

A matrix Bellman nonhomogeneous equation is used in dynamic programming to determine the optimal policy for a system over a series of time steps. It is used to calculate the optimal value function, which represents the maximum expected return for each state in the system.

What are some applications of matrix Bellman nonhomogeneous equations?

Matrix Bellman nonhomogeneous equations have many applications in various fields such as economics, engineering, and computer science. They are commonly used in reinforcement learning, optimal control, and stochastic control problems. They can also be used to model and solve complex decision-making problems in real-world scenarios.