What is the Intersection of y=3 and z=5 in R^3?

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planes
In summary, the pair of equations y=3 and z=5 in R^3 represents the set of all points that satisfy both constraints, which is given by the intersection of two planes. These planes are parallel to the xz-plane and xy-plane, and the intersection results in a line unless the two equations represent the same plane. Noting the parallel orientation to coordinate planes may aid in visualizing the solution.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

In R^3, what does the pair of equations y=3 and z=5 represent? In other words, describe the set of points (x,y,z) such that y=3 and z=5.

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew out the individual planes y=3 and z=5. i am not sure how to describe the set of all points that satisfy both constraints?

I have to have the set of all points such that for ALL x-->y=3 and z=5.

Is that a surface? Or a line? I am thinking it has to be a line?

thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
It might help to be a little more specific about the planes..

y = 3 is a plane, and it is parallel to the xz-plane.
z = 5 is a plane, and it is parallel to the xy-plane.

So the set of all (x,y,z) such that y=3 and z=5 is given by the intersection of these two planes, and since one is parallel to the xz-plane and the other is parallel to the xy-plane, then the intersection of y=3 and z=5 is a ______

line!

Though, I am not sure why it is so important to note that each line is parallel to a coordinate plane? The intersection of 'any' 2 planes is a line, correct? No matter what their orientation is?

Thanks!

well.. it's been a while since I've thought about things like that, but yeah, you're right. unless it's a trivial case where the two equations represent the same plane. either way, noting they're parallel to coordinate planes might help you visualize it better, but if you drew a picture anyway, it sounds like you're all set.

I see. It has been a while for me too, so I am right there with you :smile: Thanks for chiming in xeno_gear!

What are the different types of planes?

There are several types of planes, including commercial airliners, military jets, cargo planes, private jets, and helicopters. Each type serves a different purpose and has its own unique features.

How do planes stay in the air?

Planes are able to stay in the air due to the principle of lift. As the plane moves forward, air flows over the wings, creating an area of low pressure on the top of the wing and an area of high pressure on the bottom. This pressure difference creates lift, which keeps the plane in the air.

What is the difference between a jet engine and a propeller?

A jet engine uses the principle of thrust to propel the plane forward, while a propeller uses the force of rotating blades to create forward motion. Jet engines are typically more powerful and are used in larger, faster planes, while propellers are commonly found on smaller, slower aircraft.

How do planes navigate during a flight?

Planes use a variety of navigation systems, such as GPS, radar, and radio beacons, to determine their location and course. Pilots also use instruments and visual cues to navigate, such as following designated air routes and using landmarks on the ground.

What safety measures are in place to prevent plane crashes?

Planes undergo rigorous maintenance and safety checks before every flight, and pilots must meet strict training and licensing requirements. Air traffic control systems also play a crucial role in ensuring safe flight paths and preventing collisions between planes. In addition, planes are equipped with advanced technology and emergency procedures to handle any potential issues during a flight.