1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about planes

1. Nov 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In R^3, what does the pair of equations y=3 and z=5 represent? In other words, describe the set of points (x,y,z) such that y=3 and z=5.

3. The attempt at a solution

I drew out the individual planes y=3 and z=5. i am not sure how to describe the set of all points that satisfy both constraints?

I have to have the set of all points such that for ALL x-->y=3 and z=5.

Is that a surface? Or a line? I am thinking it has to be a line?

thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2009 #2
    It might help to be a little more specific about the planes..

y = 3 is a plane, and it is parallel to the xz-plane.
    z = 5 is a plane, and it is parallel to the xy-plane.

So the set of all (x,y,z) such that y=3 and z=5 is given by the intersection of these two planes, and since one is parallel to the xz-plane and the other is parallel to the xy-plane, then the intersection of y=3 and z=5 is a ______

4. Nov 28, 2009 #3
    line!

Though, I am not sure why it is so important to note that each line is parallel to a coordinate plane? The intersection of 'any' 2 planes is a line, correct? No matter what their orientation is?

Thanks!

5. Nov 28, 2009 #4
    well.. it's been a while since i've thought about things like that, but yeah, you're right. unless it's a trivial case where the two equations represent the same plane. either way, noting they're parallel to coordinate planes might help you visualize it better, but if you drew a picture anyway, it sounds like you're all set.

6. Nov 28, 2009 #5
    I see. It has been a while for me too, so I am right there with you :smile: Thanks for chiming in xeno_gear!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook