Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Poisseuille's law and blood flow

1. Sep 26, 2005 #1
    I know that rate of flow is equal to pi*(P1-P2)*R^4/8nL. For blood in the coronary artery, I know the pressure drop, and the radius of the artery. What is the viscosity of blood??? I can't find this value anywhere! And what value should I enter for L (distance L along a tube)? Is there an actual value somewhere for the length of the coronary artery in mm?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2005 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

According to this source http://www.usc.edu/dept/biomed/bme403/Section_3/viscosity_of_blood.html
    The value is approximately three times that of water. So if I use the dynamic viscosity of water at 20°C as
    [tex]\mu_{water} = 20.92 \frac{Lb_f sec}{ft^2}[/tex], that would mean that [tex]\mu_{blood} = 3.0 \mu_{water}[/tex] so...

[tex]\mu_{blood}= 62.76 \frac{Lb_f sec}{ft^2}[/tex]

[tex]\mu_{blood}= 3.0 x 10^6 cP [/tex]

I can't really help you in terms of L in your equation. A couple of options would be to a)Leave L blank and express your answers in flow per unit length (which sounds kind of funny but is technically correct). or b)Make an estimation.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?