Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about poisson distributed variables

1. Nov 14, 2003 #1

I'm trying to prove if X~Po(m) => 2X~Po(2m)
    But I'm not sure how to prove or disprove it.
    I'm thinking about using the addition formula, but is this the right approach?

n=m => X_1=X_2 => 2X_1~Po(2m)

Any help is appreciate.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2003 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I might be able to help you if you could explain your terminology. Specifically, what is the definition of "~", what is X, what is Po(m)?
  4. Nov 14, 2003 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Adding two random variables is definitely not the same as multiplying a random variable by 2.

Not convinced? Suppose your random variable is rolling a 6 sided die. The sum of two of these random variables could be anything from 2 through 12, with an uneven distribution. Multiplying the result of a roll by 2 can only be even numbers from 2 through 12 with an even distribution.
  5. Nov 15, 2003 #4
    Okay, Hurkyl, I can understand your reasoning there.

So my idea of the proof is no good. Any other ideas how I should be able to prove/disprove this implication?

6. Nov 15, 2003 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It would be nice to know what your notation means.

Anyways, I imagine you want to use the fact:

P(2X < &alpha;) = P(X < &alpha; / 2)

to prove that 2X has the right cumulative distribution.
  7. Nov 16, 2003 #6
    Okay, lets see if I can explain my notation...

X is my random variable with a poisson distribution

I'm trying to verify if the statement
    X in Po([lamb]) implies that 2X in Po(2[lamb])

I hope this is clear enough

8. Nov 16, 2003 #7

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For starters, X can only assume non-negative integer values. 2X is then restricted to EVEN non-negative integer values and cannot have a Poisson distribution.
  9. Nov 20, 2003 #8
    Ok, I'm not really sure if I follow your reasoning there.
    The beginning is ok, due to the fact that X is a discrete random variable.

2X will only give us even non-negative values; I'm still with you. But in the next step, I'm lost.
    Why can't 2X be Poisson distributed ([tex]2\lambda[/tex]) when X is Poisson distributed ([tex]\lambda[/tex])?
    ie [tex] X\in Po(\lambda)\Rightarrow 2X\in Po(2\lambda) [/tex]

Thank you [tex]\LaTeX[/tex]

/farbror - feels silly that he can't grasp this
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2003
  10. Nov 20, 2003 #9

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Poisson distribution is very specific. One feature is that random variables have non-zero probabilities for ALL non-negative integer values. 2X will have probability 0 for all odd integers.
  11. Oct 9, 2011 #10
    My suggestion is that you should try the moment generating function technique,ofcos u will need the theorem on limiting mgfs,bt it is the easiet way,or do a transformation
  12. Oct 9, 2011 #11
    The sum of 2 poissons is obviously poisson just like the sum of 2 binomials is binomial,ur reasoning is flawed,if X ε Poi(λ) and Y=X+X,THEN Y ε Poi(2λ),it follows quite simply evn by general reasoning.
  13. Oct 9, 2011 #12
    Are you trying to show that X + X ~ Po(2m) or that 2X ~ Po(2m)?

And do you understand why these are not the same? (The earlier dice nicely shows you that they aren't so understand that)

So if Z = X + Y, then P(Z=1) is the probability of the events {X=1} and {Y=0} or {X=0} and {Y=1}.

Where as if Z = 2X then P(Z=1) is the probability of the event that {X=1/2} which can't occur.
  14. Oct 10, 2011 #13
    Maybe a goodness-of-fit test could help.
  15. Oct 10, 2011 #14
    I'm sorry, I misread the question; please ignore my previous post.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?