Question about power series

In summary, the task is to find the power series for the function f(x) = x/(x^2+1) and determine its interval of convergence. This involves finding the derivatives of the function, writing the summation notation, and applying the ratio test or using the geometric series to determine the radius of convergence.
vande060

Homework Statement

find the power series for the function and determine the interval of convergence

[tex]
f(x) = {{x} \over {x^2 +1}}
[/tex]

im trying latex for the first time so here it is if it doesn't show well: f(x) = x/(x^2 + 1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
f(x) = \frac{\x}{2x^2 + 1}
[/tex]

f(x) = x/(x^2 + 1)f(x) = x/(2x^2 ( 1/2x^2 + 1) )
f(x) = x/(2x^2 ( 1 - -1/2x^2 ) ) [tex]
= \frac{x}{2x^2} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}
[/tex] (-1/(2x^2))^n

[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}
[/tex] ((-1)^n x)/(2x^2)^(n+1)

once I take the limit though by using the ratio test i get 1/16x^8

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would find the power series for 1/(x^2+1) then multiply each term by x, then look at it and write the summation notation.

f(x)= f(0)+f '(0)*x +f ''(0)*x^2/2 + f '''(0)*x^3/6 +...

f(x) = (x^2+1)^-1
f '(x) = - 2x*(x^2+1)^-2
f'' (x) = -2x*-2*2x*(x^2+1)^-3 + (x^2+1)^-2*-2

f(0) = (0+1)^-1 = 1
f'(0) = 0
f''(0) = 0 -2*(1^-2) = -2

f(x), centered at 0 for 1/(x^2+1) = 1-x^2+...(I'll leave a couple more terms for you so you can see the pattern), then multiply through by x.

OR, if you've got some intuition, you could note that a/(1-r) is the sum of a geometric series for abs(r)<1, then you'd write: 1-x^2+...(still going to leave those terms for you), the multiply through by x.

You can probably write the summation by looking at the pattern of the terms.

Then you can apply the ratio test, or note from the geometric series that abs(r)<1...to get the radius of convergence. Don't forget to also check the =1 case.

Apphysicist said:
I would find the power series for 1/(x^2+1) then multiply each term by x, then look at it and write the summation notation.

f(x)= f(0)+f '(0)*x +f ''(0)*x^2/2 + f '''(0)*x^3/6 +...

f(x) = (x^2+1)^-1
f '(x) = - 2x*(x^2+1)^-2
f'' (x) = -2x*-2*2x*(x^2+1)^-3 + (x^2+1)^-2*-2

f(0) = (0+1)^-1 = 1
f'(0) = 0
f''(0) = 0 -2*(1^-2) = -2

f(x), centered at 0 for 1/(x^2+1) = 1-x^2+...(I'll leave a couple more terms for you so you can see the pattern), then multiply through by x.

OR, if you've got some intuition, you could note that a/(1-r) is the sum of a geometric series for abs(r)<1, then you'd write: 1-x^2+...(still going to leave those terms for you), the multiply through by x.

You can probably write the summation by looking at the pattern of the terms.

Then you can apply the ratio test, or note from the geometric series that abs(r)<1...to get the radius of convergence. Don't forget to also check the =1 case.

okay I understand what I have to do now thank you

1. What is a power series?

A power series is a mathematical series in the form of a constant term plus a sum of terms, each of which is a constant multiplied by a variable raised to an increasing power. It is used to represent functions as an infinite polynomial and is often used in calculus and analysis.

2. How is a power series different from a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a specific type of power series that is centered around a specific point and is used to approximate a function near that point. Power series, on the other hand, can be centered at any point or can even have an infinite radius of convergence. Additionally, not all power series are Taylor series, but all Taylor series are power series.

3. What is the radius of convergence for a power series?

The radius of convergence for a power series is the distance from the center point to the nearest point where the series converges. It is determined by the ratio test and can be used to determine the interval of convergence for the series.

4. How is a power series used in calculus?

Power series are used in calculus to represent functions as infinite polynomials, making them easier to manipulate and analyze. They can also be used to approximate functions and calculate derivatives and integrals, making them a powerful tool in solving complex problems.

5. What are some real-world applications of power series?

Power series have a wide range of applications in various fields of science and engineering. They are used in physics to model and analyze physical systems, in economics and finance to model financial data, and in computer science to create algorithms and solve complex problems. They are also used in various real-world applications such as data compression, image processing, and signal analysis.