What Happens to Pressure During a Temperature Decrease?

In summary, the question is asking if it is possible for the vapor pressure to be higher than the saturation pressure. Saturation vapor pressure is the pressure at which the vapor pressure equals the saturation pressure. It is possible for the vapor pressure to be higher than the saturation pressure, but it would precipitate.
Junkwisch
The question is in the attachment... "this is an old past exam question"

for i) I assume that the pressure will remain constant (I'm not sure) since volume is likely to increase proportion to the decrease in temperature. (Is this correct?)

Best Regards

Attachments

• Precipitation question.png
    Precipitation question.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 546
Physics news on Phys.org
for i) I assume that the pressure will remain constant (I'm not sure) since volume is likely to increase proportion to the decrease in temperature. (Is this correct?)
What leads you to believe that the volume increases when temperature decreases?
Do you know an equation that relates volume to temperature for a gas?

The graph shows how the saturation vapor pressure varies with temperature for "a parcel of air".

You notice that the initial state vapor pressure is lower than the saturation vapor pressure - is it possible for the vapor pressure to be higher than the saturation pressure? i.e. what does "saturation vapor pressure" mean?

Simon Bridge said:
What leads you to believe that the volume increases when temperature decreases?
Do you know an equation that relates volume to temperature for a gas?

The graph shows how the saturation vapor pressure varies with temperature for "a parcel of air".

You notice that the initial state vapor pressure is lower than the saturation vapor pressure - is it possible for the vapor pressure to be higher than the saturation pressure? i.e. what does "saturation vapor pressure" mean?

Since it is a parcel of air, the volume is constant? thus the only that that will change is pressure? Can I use the ideal gas law in this case? "PV=nRT"

I think it is nott possible for vapour pressure to be higher than saturated vapour pressure since it will precipitate (I'm not certain)

Since it is a parcel of air, the volume is constant?
Well you just said that the volume increases as temperature decreases - now you are saying the volume stays the same?

Can I use the ideal gas law in this case? "PV=nRT"
Lets pretend that you can use the ideal gas equation - what does that equation tell you happens to the pressure (at constant volume) as the temperature decreases or the volume (at constant pressure) for that matter?
Compare with what you wrote in post #1.

However - the question is talking about vapor pressure - is this different from the gas pressure?
Do you know any definitions for vapor pressure?

I think it is nott possible for vapour pressure to be higher than saturated vapour pressure since it will precipitate (I'm not certain)
... then this is something you need to check. It looks like you need to revise your work on vapor pressure.

Looking at the graph, if the temperature dropped, but the vapor pressure stayed the same, would the vapor pressure be above or below the saturation pressure?

You may find useful:
http://nicholas.duke.edu/people/faculty/katul/ENV234_Lecture_2.pdf
http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/~martins/hydro/lectures/evap_precip.htm

Likes Junkwisch
thank you for your help Simon, I have been going through much of my lecture note and recording in the recent days. It seems that the ideal gas law has nothing to do with this case. by using this equation saturation vapour pressure = 0.6108exp(17.27*T/T+237.
3), I got saturation vapour pressure to be equal to 1.23 kPa. (This is correct right?) It seems like this poinrt (10, 1.23) is above the blue line, thus precipitation will occurJunks

That's better ;)

1. What is precipitation?

Precipitation is any form of water, either liquid or solid, that falls from the sky and reaches the Earth's surface. This includes rain, snow, sleet, hail, and freezing rain.

2. How is precipitation formed?

Precipitation is formed when water vapor in the atmosphere cools and condenses into liquid or solid droplets. These droplets then become too heavy to remain in the air and fall to the ground as precipitation.

3. What factors influence precipitation?

The amount and type of precipitation can be influenced by several factors, including temperature, air pressure, humidity, wind patterns, and topography (elevation and land features).

4. What is the difference between weather and climate in terms of precipitation?

Weather refers to the atmospheric conditions in a specific place and time, while climate refers to the long-term patterns and averages of weather in a particular region. Precipitation can vary greatly in weather from day to day, but climate can give a general idea of the average amount and type of precipitation in an area.

5. How is precipitation measured?

Precipitation is typically measured using a rain gauge, which collects and measures the amount of liquid precipitation (rain, snow, etc.) that falls over a certain period of time. Other methods, such as radar and satellite imagery, can also be used to estimate precipitation over a larger area.