1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about QM eigenvalues.

1. Oct 7, 2013 #1
    I've been wrestling with this question for a while and can't seem to find anything in my notes that will help me.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine whether the wave function [itex]\Psi (x,t)= \textrm{exp}(-i(kx+\omega t))[/itex] is an eigenfunction of the operators for total energy and x component of momentum, and if it is, calculate the eigenvalues.

2. Relevant equations
    Condition for an eigenfunction:
    [tex]\hat{E}\Psi =k\Psi [/tex]
    Where K is the eigenvalue
    Energy operator:
    [tex]\hat{E}=i\hbar\frac{\partial }{\partial t}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Determining that psi is an eigenfunction is easy enough.
    [tex]\hat{E}\Psi =i\hbar\frac{\partial }{\partial t}[\textrm{exp}(-i(kx+\omega t))][/tex]
    [tex]=-i\hbar i\omega \Psi =\hbar\omega \Psi =\frac{h}{2\pi }2\pi f\Psi =hf\Psi =E\Psi [/tex]

I can't figure out how to calculate the value of E from this information alone. I imagine the same method works for momentum when I figure out what it is.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2013 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

hmm? You have just calculated the value of E. Now, yeah it is pretty much a similar method to find out if it is also an eigenstate of momentum, once you remember what the operator looks like :)

4. Oct 7, 2013 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Craptola! :smile:

hmmm …
    stop there? :wink:

5. Oct 7, 2013 #4
    I assumed that the question wanted me to calculate an actual number for the eigenvalue, which is what confused me as it seems that E could be anything depending on other variables. This is all stuff we covered fairly recently so I wasn't sure if there was some kinda law that wasn't in the lecture notes which limited the possible values of E.

6. Oct 7, 2013 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ah, but k and ω aren't variables, they're your given constants! :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted