Is every isomorphism between groups preserves cardinality of elements?

• I
  • Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
In summary, the first statement states that for all x in G, if phi is an isomorphism, then the absolute value of phi(x) is equal to the absolute value of x. The second statement states that there exists at least one x in G such that, if phi is an isomorphism, then the absolute value of phi(x) is equal to the absolute value of x. While both statements are equivalent, the second statement is a weaker version of the first, as it only requires the existence of one x that satisfies the condition. This is because when phi is an isomorphism, the absolute value of phi(x) will always be equal to the absolute value of x, regardless of the choice of x.
Mr Davis 97
I have the following statement: If ##\phi : G \to H## is an isomorphism, then ##|\phi(x) | = |x|## for all ##x \in G##. Is this equivalent to the following? There exists an ##x \in G## such that if ##\phi : G \to H## is an isomorphism, then ##|\phi(x) | = |x|##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
I have the following statement: If ##\phi : G \to H## is an isomorphism, then ##|\phi(x) | = |x|## for all ##x \in G##. Is this equivalent to the following? There exists an ##x \in G## such that if ##\phi : G \to H## is an isomorphism, then ##|\phi(x) | = |x|##.
They are both always true, so in a way they are equivalent. What do you really want to know? As soon as you have the requirement "isomorphism" it doesn't matter anymore whether there is just one ##x##, because there are always all.

fresh_42 said:
They are both always true, so in a way they are equivalent. What do you really want to know? As soon as you have the requirement "isomorphism" it doesn't matter anymore whether there is just one ##x##, because there are always all.
I'm just confused about how the two statement are saying the same thing. Basically what I am trying to do is to put the statement into prenex normal form and then to interpret how the statements are equivalent. I'm using the rule for taking the quantifier of the consequent that is described here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prenex_normal_form#Implication

Edit: Actually, I used the wrong rule to begin with, so in this case my question is meaningless. If I come across another example I'll ask.

The first statement says that for all x (it is true that if phi is an isomorphism then abs(phi(x))=abs(x)). The second statement says that for at least one x (it is true that if phi is an isomorphism then abs(phi(x))=abs(x)). If the first statement is true for all x then certainly it is true for at least one x (with the condition that the set of solutions for x in the formula abs(phi(x))=abs(x) must be nonempty.In the converse case the first statement only follows from second if the size of the solution set for abs(phi(x))=abs(x) is less than equal or less than one.

1. What is a quantifier?

A quantifier is a word or phrase that indicates the amount or quantity of something. It is used in math, logic, and linguistics to express the scope or extent of a statement.

2. What are the different types of quantifiers?

There are two main types of quantifiers: universal and existential. Universal quantifiers, such as "all" and "every", indicate that a statement applies to all members of a group. Existential quantifiers, such as "some" and "there exists", indicate that at least one member of a group satisfies a statement.

3. How are quantifiers used in logic?

In logic, quantifiers are used to express the scope or extent of a statement. Universal quantifiers are represented by the symbol ∀ (for all), while existential quantifiers are represented by the symbol ∃ (there exists). These symbols are used in mathematical and logical expressions to indicate the range of variables being considered.

4. Can quantifiers be used in everyday language?

Yes, quantifiers can be used in everyday language to express the amount or quantity of something. For example, "all dogs are mammals" uses the universal quantifier "all" to indicate that every member of the group "dogs" falls under the category of "mammals".

5. What is the role of quantifiers in scientific research?

In scientific research, quantifiers are used to define the scope of a study or experiment. By specifying the quantity or number of subjects, samples, or data points, researchers can ensure that their findings are representative of a larger population. Quantifiers also help to establish the validity and reliability of scientific results.