What are energy values and how do they relate to eigenvectors in quantum states?

In summary: A## are known and they are the energy values of the system at that point in time; orb)... because the eigenvectors of ##A## represent all the possible states of the system at that point in time (and energy values are just a measure of how close a state is to being observed).We are told that the energy values of the system are a linear combination of the eigenvectors of ##A##. But, that's all you're told.
Gbox
Moved from a technical forum
Summary: Finding state at t=0, energy values and more

So this is my first question in quantum mechanics (please understand).

1. So we have a system, and to describe the state of the system we have to measure, A is an hermitian matrix, that each physical measurable quantity has.
To find the state after the measurement we first need to find the eigenvectors of A which are for λ1 = 0.5 v1=1/sqrt(2)(1 , 1) and for λ2 = 1.5 v1=1/sqrt(2)(-1 , 1)

Now we have to normalize the vector, but because the eigenvalues are non degenerate we know that

So

As it the superposition of the two states.

2. what are energy values? are they the eigenvalues?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gbox said:

Now we have to normalize the vector, but because the eigenvalues are non degenerate we know that

This is not correct. You have that $$|v_1> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} |x> + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|y>$$
and
$$|v_2> = -\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} |x> + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|y>$$ . What is then ##|x>## and #|y># in terms of ##|v_1>## and ##|v_2>##?

Gbox said:

what are energy values? are they the eigenvalues

Yes, if ##A## is the Hamiltonian? But, it is not obvious from the information you have given?

Likes Gbox and vanhees71
Why

##\left| v_1 \right>= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left| x \right>+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left| y \right>##

And

## \left| v_2 \right>= -\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left| x \right>$+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left| y \right>##
?

We took the dot product of the eigenvalues of ##A##? Did we use the fact that ##\left| v_1 \right>## and ##\left| v_2 \right>## are orthonormal?

Last edited:
You have two states ##|x>## and ##|y>##, which forms an orthonormal basis. Your matrix ##A## is written in this basis. You are solving for the eigenvectors, ##|v_1>## and ##|v_2>##, in this basis.
That is,
$$|v_1> = a |x> + b|y>$$
$$|v_2> = -a |x> + b|y>,$$
with ##a^2+b^2=1##.
The notation ##|v_1> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(1,1)##, thus means ##a=b=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}##

Likes Gbox
Thanks,
I do not understand the physics the led to the two equations.
maybe I will go a step back ##\left| x \right>## and ##\left| y \right>## are the state of the system after a measure is done?
The eigenvectors of ##A## are the state of the system before the mesure?
So now we are measuring, knowing that there are 2 possible states (Which are orthonormal basis) ##\left| x \right>## and ##\left| y \right>## those are the states we will get after a measure.
So we are asked to find the state of the system before the measurement using the matrix ##A##?

We know that the for ##\lambda_1=0.5## we have ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(1, 1)## and for ##\lambda_2=1.5## we have ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(-1 ,1)##

So what we have basically done next is to say that the state in ##t=0## (which are the eigenvectors of ##A##) are a linear combination of ##\left| x \right>## and ##\left| y \right>## or:

##\left| v_1 \right> =a \left| x \right>+b \left| y \right>##

##\left| v_2 \right> =b \left| x \right>+c \left| y \right>##

which is:

##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(1, 1)=a \left| x \right>+b \left| y \right>##

##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(-1, 1) =c \left| x \right>+d \left| y \right>##

Now due to ##\left| x \right>## and ##\left| y \right>## being orthonormal we can conclude that:

##a=-c=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}## and ##b=d=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}##

Thanks for your patience I am new to those problems

Gbox said:
Thanks,
I do not understand the physics the led to the two equations.
maybe I will go a step back ##\left| x \right>## and ##\left| y \right>## are the state of the system after a measure is done?
The eigenvectors of ##A## are the state of the system before the mesure?
So now we are measuring, knowing that there are 2 possible states (Which are orthonormal basis) ##\left| x \right>## and ##\left| y \right>## those are the states we will get after a measure.
So we are asked to find the state of the system before the measurement using the matrix ##A##?

Not quite. You are given first some general information about the system: that it is a system that can be described as a linear combination of only two states. What that means in terms of linear algebra is that it is two-dimensional. What it means in terms of the physics ... let's wait and see.

In ##|x \rangle, |y \rangle>## you are given an orthonormal basis for the system. That is all. You are not told what ##|x \rangle, |y \rangle## are physically.

Next, you are given a Hermitian operator ##A##, which presumably represents some important physical observable of your system. But, you are not told which.

As ##A## is Hermitian, its eigenvectors form an orthonormal basis. Part 1) asks you to find these and their relationship to ##|x \rangle, |y \rangle##.

That's all general stuff that is more linear algebra that physics.

Now, you are also told that the system at time ##t=0## is at state ##|x \rangle##. You're not told how we know this. It's possible that we know this for one of two reasons:

a) We have just measured the system using an observable for which ##|x \rangle## is an eigenstate (and got the approriate eigenvalue). That's one way to know the state of a system.

b) Perhaps we have prepared a large number of systems in the same (identical) way and measured them and they are always found in state ##|x \rangle##. We concluded, therefore, that the preparation process always puts the system in this state.

Either way, as far as the problem is concerned, we simply know the state of the system at time ##t=0##.

That's the background to the problem. I hope that helps.

To the question:

We can see from parts 2-4 that ##A## is indeed the Hamiltonian. I'm not sure why they didn't say this explicitly. In any case, you are nearly there for part 1). Can you finish that first?

Start from here:

Gbox said:
##\left| v_1 \right>= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left| x \right>+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left| y \right>##

And

## \left| v_2 \right>= -\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left| x \right>+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left| y \right>##

Hint: this is now basic linear algebra to solve for ##|x \rangle##.

Likes Gbox
Gbox said:

View attachment 245007

PS

This problem is quite loosely worded. What it should say is that the operator ##A## is given by that matrix in the ##|x \rangle, |y \rangle## basis.

Thanks!

So mathematically, are we doing a basis change? as how else can we arrive to

And

## \left| v_2 \right>= -\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left| x \right>+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left| y \right>##

Using the hint I have arrive to:

## \left| x \right>= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\left| v_1 \right>+\left| v_2 \right>)##

and

## \left| y \right>= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\left| v_1 \right>-\left| v_2 \right>)##

Last edited:
Yes, you either write ##|x>## and ##|y>## in terms of ##|v_1>## and ##|v_2|##, or the other way around. They are connected by a linear transformation (mapping). Similarly, the matrix ##A## can be expressed in the ##\{v_1, v_2\}## basis. In that basis ##A## is diagonal.

Gbox said:
Thanks!

So mathematically, are we doing a basis change? as how else can we arrive to

And

Using the hint I have arrive to:

## \left| x \right>= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\left| v_1 \right>+\left| v_2 \right>)##

That's odd. When I add ##v_1 + v_2## I get ##\sqrt{2} y##.

Likes Gbox
Yes, the formula for ##|x>## is wrong. The plus sign should be a minus sign. That is, ##|x> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(|v_1> - |v_2>)##

Likes Gbox
eys_physics said:
Yes, you either write ##|x>## and ##|y>## in terms of ##|v_1>## and ##|v_2|##, or the other way around. They are connected by a linear transformation (mapping). Similarly, the matrix ##A## can be expressed in the ##\{v_1, v_2\}## basis. In that basis ##A## is diagonal.

I am maybe confused with the dirac notations, but how did you get to this expression?

Gbox said:
I am maybe confused with the dirac notations, but how did you get to this expression?
Sorry, it was a mistake in the first sentence. It should read "|v_1>" and "|v_2>".

Likes Gbox
I mean here:
eys_physics said:
You have two states ##|x>## and ##|y>##, which forms an orthonormal basis. Your matrix ##A## is written in this basis. You are solving for the eigenvectors, ##|v_1>## and ##|v_2>##, in this basis.
That is,
$$|v_1> = a |x> + b|y>$$
$$|v_2> = -a |x> + b|y>,$$
with ##a^2+b^2=1##.
The notation ##|v_1> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(1,1)##, thus means ##a=b=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}##

Why you have ## a, b, -a, b## and not ##a,b,c,d##?

Because, for the eigenvectors are (or can be constructed) orthonormal , i.e.
$$<v_1|v_2>=<v_2|v_1> =0, $$
and
$$<v_1|v_1>=<v_2|v_2> =1 $$.

Gbox said:

Let's take a step back. All we really wanted were the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a 2x2 matrix. Dirac notation isn't relevant.

You've got those now. As an aside, you chose ##v_2 = (-1/\sqrt{2}, 1/\sqrt{2})##. Let's stick with this.

However, note that normalisation is up to an arbitrary, complex constant of unit modulus. In other words, your normalised eigenvectors are not totally unique. In particular, you could equally well have chosen ##v_2 = (1/\sqrt{2}, -1/\sqrt{2})##.

I only mention this because it's possible that if you see a solution to this problem it may well have done things this way round. I would tend to make the x-coordinate positive for no good reason other than it comes first.

I suggest you stick with what you have and move on!

Likes Gbox and eys_physics
Gbox said:
Sorry, I can not see why, using the orthonormal property I got to

$$a^2 |x>^2+b^2 |y>^2=1\Rightarrow a^2 +b^2 =1$$

$$c^2 |x>^2+d^2 |y>^2=1\Rightarrow c^2 +b^2 =1$$

$$ac |x>^2+bd |y>^2=0\Rightarrow ac+bd=0$$

You appear to be looking for any orthonormal pair of vectors here. ##a, b, c, d## are determined (up to a common factor) by the eigenvector property.

To be honest, in the case where ##a=b##, you should be able to write down ##a = b = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}##. Unless QM is the first time you've encountered unit vectors?

PeroK said:
You appear to be looking for any orthonormal pair of vectors here. ##a, b, c, d## are determined (up to a common factor) by the eigenvector property.

To be honest, in the case where ##a=b##, you should be able to write down ##a = b = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}##. Unless QM is the first time you've encountered unit vectors?
Not it is just that my background is in math (done linear algebra 1+2) so I am checking each step form math (and now physics) point of view

What is a quantum state?

A quantum state is a mathematical description of the properties and behavior of a quantum system. It includes information about the system's position, momentum, and other physical properties.

What is the difference between a classical state and a quantum state?

A classical state describes the properties and behavior of a macroscopic system, while a quantum state describes the properties and behavior of a microscopic system at the quantum level. Classical states follow deterministic laws, while quantum states follow probabilistic laws.

What is superposition in quantum states?

Superposition is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics where a quantum system can exist in multiple states simultaneously. This means that a particle can be in two or more places or have two or more properties at the same time.

What is entanglement in quantum states?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in which two or more particles become correlated in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, even when they are physically separated. This is a key aspect of quantum mechanics and has implications for quantum computing and communication.

How are quantum states measured?

Quantum states are measured using a variety of techniques, including observing the interference patterns of particles, using quantum sensors and detectors, and performing measurements on entangled particles. These measurements can provide information about the properties and behavior of quantum systems.