Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about random numbers

1. Jul 14, 2009 #1
    I have recently come across the 80/20 rule... I am using the Pareto Distribution's pdf to generate some dataset that I wanted... Now if I have a set of 50 items and I need to generate 40% of these items 60% of the times, how am I supposed to go about doing this? I know how to select items with certain probabilities but this task is confusing me... Anyone has some inputs for me please?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2009 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One way is to create duplicate (multiplicate) items until you reach the desired proportion, then use a uniform rule to select.

For example, if I had 2 items {x, y} and wanted to obtain x 67% of the time, I'd duplicate x once, and make draws from the set {x, x, y}.

4. Aug 6, 2009 #3
    To select one of m items, from a total of n items, a proportion y of the time, you need to select each of the m items with probability y/m, and each of the remaining n-m items with probability (1-y)/(n-m)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook