Question about random walk

In summary, the total distance traveled in a random walk with each step having a length of l after N steps is L = N * l. The standard deviation of the distance grows as the square root of the number of steps.
leonne
Question about "random walk"

Homework Statement

.. Recall that in a random walk where each step
has length l, the total distance traveled after N steps is L = N1/2l

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is the N number of steps, not sure how i would find that.
I saw in the book saying N1/2=[tex]\tau[/tex][tex]\lambda[/tex]( its subscript lambda idk why always looks so weird)
I thought its the same as [tex]\tau[/tex] which i found a formula l/v
but when i plug into the formula to find L i get (cm)(s) as units, which i don't think its right.
edit
ok reading my notes, it said soothing about, each step takes time [tex]\tau[/tex] I found the time its the l/v , but not sure what to do next
any help thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

first, is your initial equation right. L= N^(1/2) * l ? That doesn't make sense. I think that should be L = N * l, i.e. if you take 3 steps of 5 units each step, the total distance traveled is 15 units.

jack7992 said:
first, is your initial equation right. L= N^(1/2) * l ? That doesn't make sense. I think that should be L = N * l, i.e. if you take 3 steps of 5 units each step, the total distance traveled is 15 units.
You and the original poster are forgetting about randomness here. At each time the step might be step forward, but it might also be backward. If the walk starts at the origin the mean will always be zero. The standard deviation won't be zero. This grows as the square root of N, the number of steps.

right, but I was thinking more along the lines of total distance traveled, as in if you walk a mile one way and then come back on the same path, the total distance traveled is two miles, but the total displacement, if you will, is 0. I thought the former is what he was asking about. But I guess it depends on what your trying to define.

yeah thxs for the help i figured it out. We where told the L~R so we just solve for N. I thought we had to find L. then plug N into this other formula to find the time. And the original formal i had is right

1. What is a random walk?

A random walk is a mathematical concept that describes the movement of a point or object that follows a random path in a given space. It is often used to model the behavior of particles, financial markets, and other complex systems.

2. How is a random walk different from a regular walk?

A regular walk follows a predetermined path or route, while a random walk does not have a specific direction and is determined by a series of random steps.

3. What is the importance of random walks in science?

Random walks are used in many scientific fields, including physics, biology, and economics, to model and analyze complex systems. They can provide insights into the behavior of particles, the spread of diseases, and the movement of financial markets.

4. Can a random walk be predicted?

No, a random walk cannot be predicted with certainty as it is based on random movements. However, statistical methods can be used to make predictions about the potential outcomes of a random walk.

5. What are some real-world examples of random walks?

Some examples of random walks include the movement of molecules in a gas, the spread of pollen by wind, and the fluctuation of stock prices in financial markets.